• 1 Post By 1stgen1916saa
  • 1 Post By mrcvs
  • 1 Post By hornsfan

Thread: Opinions please...

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Opinions please...

Wanted to know if anyone has ever dealt with collector firearms in Houston. Im interested in a couple of their offerings but dont know of Id be better off scouring auction sites for what Im looking for. Any input would ne appreciated. Btw Im looking for another 1st gen pre 1900. Preferably in 45 and 7 1/2 barrel. Thanks in advance.
    victorio1sw likes this.

Member #
    My boots are stained with Confederate soil
    Liked
    1758 times
    You are probably better off scouring auctions. IF you buy from them do so during their flash 20% off sales. Always 6 to 9 am on Black Friday plus they did run one just a few months ago.
    Rick Bowles likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    196 times
    They have a very good reputation for accuracy in their descriptions. But, they are also where I go to see what the upper limit of asking price is.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    I bought from them before, even as recently as 2 months ago. I believe the vast majority of their prices are high-end retail. But every 3-6 months, something will pop up that I think is reasonable. If you can visit in-person, they give you ample time for a hands-on inspection and will disassemble a gun for you. I never paid their asking price. I'll walk in with cash that is about 20-25% below their ask. I'll inspect, ask questions, and then politely ask if they will accept my offer of $XXX, tell them it's an all-cash offer and that the offer is "out the door" (meaning sales tax is included in my offer). I reinforce the cash aspect that saves them a 3% credit card fee. I get a deal about 25% of the time. The other times they counter with something that's in the 10-15% off range.

If you are out of the area, I'm not sure how they will respond to an offer over the phone or email.

Or you can wait for the next sale, as mrcvs suggested, when they do a Black Friday promo. I think they also do a July 4 promo or some other holiday. During those times, they generally do not accept offers below the discounted price.

Greg
    MrRush likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1301 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 1stgen1916saa View Post
    Wanted to know if anyone has ever dealt with collector firearms in Houston. Im interested in a couple of their offerings but dont know of Id be better off scouring auction sites for what Im looking for. Any input would ne appreciated. Btw Im looking for another 1st gen pre 1900. Preferably in 45 and 7 1/2 barrel. Thanks in advance.
    From my own multiple experiences with Collectors FA's in the past, they will not tell you what is Wrong with any gun listed. Most likely they won't include pictures of what is wrong either. Although I bought tens of thousands of $$$ in antique guns from them, they finally burned the bridge to me. Buyer beware!!
    Last edited by victorio1sw; 09-10-2019 at 12:02 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I appreciate everyones input. Houston is too far for me to go but if im in the area I will definately check it out.... and beware... so I guess its auctions for me for the time being. Is there a members classifieds section?

Member #
    Liked
    9935 times
    Yup - you can look at it after 15 posts, I believe.

Member #
    Liked
    1442 times
    Collectors Firearms has some amazing stuff...but they are a might pricey. I used go in there some when I lived in Houston. It was like a kid (with empty pockets) in a candy store.
    "Cowards never lasted long enough to become real
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ." --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    437 times
    I've been very happy with Collectors Firearms on some hard to find Colts. It pays to ask a lot of detailed questions before making any offers. They've always given me honest and accurate answers to my questions. Prices are definitely high , but negotiable , and once in a while you can even find a genuine deal .They'll send you an e- mail when the sales are coming , and it's easy enough to ask questions ahead of time to grab the 20% off ..

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    686 times
    Collectors descriptions are not very accurate. They do get some outstanding guns but their asking prices are HIGH.
    I have bought during their sales but even then there are no bargains.
    I believe you can return a gun if you are not satisfied.

Sponsored Links