Custer SAA Question
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Custer SAA Question

Member #
    Liked
    385 times

Custer SAA Question

A friend brought an old nickeled artillery by for me to look at it. The only visible serial number is the trigger guard which is very clear. It is serial numbered 5204 which seems to be a good range for the 7th Cavalry. The "A" is very clear just under the serial number. What are the chances that an artillery trigger guard was at Little Big Horn? Or does it mean that since it was converted then it couldn't have been on the field? Thanks.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    357 times
    This is a lettered 7th Cavalry gun owned by master gunsmith at a gun shop near where I live. The barrel was cut down to 5 1/2" at some point in its past and it is a bit beat up but it is a very cool piece of history. It is fully functional though.

7thCavalry.jpg

I've actually held this gun in my hands. It is pretty cool.

I'm sure an original nickel plated 7th cavalry is as rare as a unicorn. It has probably been refinished.
    victorio1sw likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    385 times
    It is definately not original finish. I was just stating what type of finish it was. The buffed it pretty heavy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    349 times
    Anytime that you mention Custer, SAA's and serial numbers, you get a lot of speculation and comments. Most of the SAA reference books by Kopec give the Custer serial number ranges based on available data, with 4500 - 5500 being one of the prime ranges. The problem is that the 7th Cavalry was made up of several companies and it is pretty well documented that all of the guns in Col. Custer's particular companies he was commanding during the battle of the Little Big Horn were captured by the Indians. A very limited number of those have been somewhat documented because they came down through Indian families or were relics dug up in Canada where the Indians fled after the battle. So most of the parts that turn up in the Artillery's that are in the Custer range could be from the revolvers of other companies of the 7th Cavalry that were being commanded by Major Reno, Capt McDougall or Capt Benteen. So yes, this trigger guard "could" have been in the field, on a 7th Cavalry revolver, but not from one of Custer's companies.
    Last edited by rcranch; 09-10-2019 at 12:32 PM.
    Kurusu, ColtsDad, lboos and 2 others like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22133 times
    I own SAA with SN 4498. I guessed it barely missed going to 7th Cav.

mrcvs and lboos like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    357 times
    Quote Originally Posted by saintclair View Post
    I own SAA with SN 4498. I guessed it barely missed going to 7th Cav.
    Can we see pics of the rest of the gun? What's the history on it? Was it a military issued gun?
    saintclair likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22133 times
    That 4498 gun is pretty rough shape. The top-strap has been replaced and the other parts are Artillery.

Last edited by saintclair; 09-10-2019 at 02:16 PM.
    lboos and OD like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22133 times
    As Maxwell Smart would say, "Missed it by that much."

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...3&&FORM=VRDGAR
    Last edited by saintclair; 09-10-2019 at 02:34 PM.
    Kurusu and skilled like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1649 times
    An interesting and historical event. It seems that only the 212 [+-] Colts that were in Custer's company where the only ones that count at the battle of the little big horn, what about the other 600 +- that were also there in Maj. Reno, Capt. Benteen, and Capt. McDougall's companies. why is it that these Colts seem to have little historical mention in history ? it's like if a Colt was not in Custer's co. it was not there. seems like little effort in history to try and hunt down any of these serial numbers of some of these Colts which they had in hand.
    I have an Artillery that the frame serial number is 4939, and the back strap is 4974 and I have a Kopec letter on it, but I guess theirs no 100% way to really know except that it is close.
    I'll try a put a pic. of it up in a few min's. with the letter. if I remember how.

Member #
    Liked
    349 times
    Actually, many members of the forum will remember the Custer revolver 5773, discussed on the forum many times, which actually did fall within this group of "other" Custer range guns. The records indicated that it was "rendered unserviceable at the Battle of Little Bighorn" and was a Capt. Benteen company revolver. It fetched around $400K at auction, so these others do seem to do okay historically. Very few, however, have surfaced that are documented in the records by serial number in this manner.
    lboos and highway08 like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links