• 1 Post By Jim Martin
  • 1 Post By gazelle

Thread: Opinions needed on this revolver

Member #
    Liked
    32 times

Opinions needed on this revolver

Hello,
    What do we have here? A friend bought this revolver years ago thinking it was a 2nd Generation Colt SAA. I have posted photos to show the following areas of concern. We knew the grips were not Colt grips......then we saw other issues.

1. The serial number does not have the "SA" following the number.
    2. The Patent Dates on the frame do not exactly match those on original Colt SAA's.
    3. The cylinder appears to have been a 357 cylinder that has been modified to 44 caliber. ??
    4. Different serial # on front of cylinder.
    5. Another number stamped on front of frame.

I thought perhaps this was a frame from another revolver (such as a Uberti). I don't know if the barrel is a Colt barrel or not.

I would be interested in any opinions/comments regarding this revolver. Also, how much would this revolver be worth?

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    32 times

Cylinder for above revolver

Photos of the cylinder of the above revolver.
    Attached Images Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    2703 times
    Looks like an Italian frame, probably Uberti from the "CAT. 5563" on the front.

- Buckspen
    Chaffee, LEO918, WVCOLT and 3 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Thanks Buckspen. Do you think the barrel is a Colt barrel? What about the cylinder......is it from a Colt or from another manufacturer?
    Any idea on the value as a shooter?

Thanks for your help.

Member #
    Liked
    5809 times
    Pull the cyl. out of the gun & see if there's a recoil shield around the firing pin hole in the frame.It appears to be an Italian frame w/the cat.# stamped on it.
    Last edited by Jim Martin; 09-17-2019 at 10:45 PM. Reason: forgot something
    MarkInTx likes this.

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Looks Great!

Member #
    Liked
    231 times
    Its a 1996 or so Armi San Marco frame with a Colt barrel on it. ASM frame serials used an 'SA' prefix, which makes them confusable with Colts. The ASM has a gen 1 & 2 20 tpi Colt SA barrel thread, its very easy to put Colt barrels on. EMF vended stripped ASM frames at times in the 90's, though this could be a factory gun that was rebarreled etc... but it probably started life as one of those stripped frames.

As a competently built parts clone that's in no way a Colt even given the barrel, value is perhaps $350.

I don't think its out of question cylinder is a Colt cylinder, .357 that was rechambered to 44 special.
    Last edited by gazelle; 09-18-2019 at 08:57 AM.
    LEO918 likes this.
    The web's most complete resource on

Member #
    Liked
    10029 times
    As the C&WAS crowd ages, you'll start to see more of these available - with factory barrels, cylinders and grips.

The all wanted a 'Colt', but wanted them at 'Ruger Vaquero' prices, and holsters were filed accordingly.

Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gazelle View Post
    Its a 1996 or so Armi San Marco frame with a Colt barrel on it. ASM frames used an 'SA' prefix, which makes them confusable with Colts. The ASM has a gen 1 & 2 20 tpi Colt SA barrel thread, its very easy to put Colt barrels on. EMF vended stripped ASM frames at times in the 90's, though this could be a factory gun that was rebarreled etc... but it probably started life as one of those stripped frames.

As a competently built parts clone that's in no way a Colt even given the barrel, value is perhaps $350.

I don't think its out of question cylinder is a Colt cylinder, .357 that was rechambered to 44 special.
    Thank you. I appreciate that information, and all of the other comments as well. This is most helpful.

Member #
    Liked
    177 times
    Thining abiut doing something similar myself, only converting the old ASM frame over to 41 Colt to pair it up with my original.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links