Birmingham Pistol in Alabama
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Birmingham Pistol in Alabama

Member #
    Liked
    786 times

Birmingham Pistol in Alabama

Has anyone here bought a Colt SAA from them? They seem to have a large number of SAAs available in stock, most at seemingly very high to totally ridiculous prices. I suppose that is why they are in stock. I say ridiculous prices, but maybe if they actually have exactly what you want and it is available immediately, maybe it is worth it to you to pay a premium.

Anyway, has anyone bought a SAA from them? Did you pay a high price for it? More importantly, were you satisfied with the gun you received?
    Last edited by charlene; 09-18-2019 at 10:33 PM.
    lounick likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    15206 times
    I see their listings on Gunbroker , but I have not made purchases due to the prices. I’m sure they still sell anyway.. they’re Colts.
    lounick likes this.
    🔫 WWYS

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    376 times
    I have purchased a firearm from them. It was an early 3rd gen, nickel plated SAA that had a fairly reasonable buy it now price. I found out why the price was so reasonable after I received the gun. The grips had a crack due to being over tightened and the hammer was binding when lowered. Gun was also filthy but once cleaned up is actually in decent shape. I had a local gunsmith who is experienced in working on these guns fix the hammer and grips which added $150 to the price I paid for the gun. Overall I’m pleased with the gun but I never would have bought it if I knew what was actually wrong with it prior to purchase.

So, I would agree with your assessment that their prices are quite high to ridiculously high and if by some miracle you find a gun that seems reasonably priced you can bet there is something wrong with it. Their descriptions are vague and picture, usually just one, may or may not be of the actual firearm. This is not how I would do business and there are so many other good sellers out there who do provide multiple high res pics and accurate descriptions that I usually don’t bother even looking at Birmingham listings at all anymore.

Proceed with caution would be my advice.
    Last edited by SDRider; 09-19-2019 at 06:13 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    6919 times
    I was looking at one of their nickel SAAs, which in the photo appeared to have factory ivory stocks. The gun was advertised in something like 99%+ condition, and the price was around $2,600. The listing didn't mention anything about the grips.

When I called, they explained that the grips were not real ivory and that the photo (just one) was a generic file photo, not the actual gun. I've seen a lot of their listings with only one photo. They have an "all sales final" policy with a restocking fee of 20%. I would get as much information up front as possible before buying from them.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    667 times
    I have not bought from them, but they never answer any email inquires.
    Currently they have a Colt 2nd Gen .357 5.5", stating it is in "fine+ condition."

the auction photo looks like the hammer is rusted and/or pitted on both sides. That is not fine+ to me.
    I also think the $$ are on the upper price limits.
    ....what ? me failed English !!! That's unpossible.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1494 times
    I posted earlier that I tried contacting them in regards to a nice dual cylinder 45 but my emails went unanswered. I needed some basic info,like serial range and end label description but no response. I did find one from another source who gave menwhat Ineeded(actually had the info with pictures in his ad). I got my gun and it was quite a bit lower in price,so all ends well. They do have a lot of SAA inventory and if they have what you need it’s hard to resist. In my picture the grips are not correct. I have the original numbered eagles but the wood really enhances the gun - I think! Pete

Last edited by sturmgewehr; 09-19-2019 at 05:56 AM.
    Armybrat, OIF2 and jeepnut711 like this.
    Life Member NRA-1974
    Psalm 23 “The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing—-“
    I had a commission USNR from 71-77 but do not consider myself a Vet
    My Dad and his four brothers USMC,WW2,Korea,Vietnam were Vets
    Email.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    14601 times
    Gun Prime and Birmingham are one and the same.

Their descriptions are vague and picture, usually just one, may or may not be of the actual firearm.
    I have bought a couple of guns from them recently and had more than a few (difficult) phone conversations. I likely would have bought a couple more guns if they had simply returned my phone calls and/or supplied the info I asked for. There is a current thread on Gun Prime up as well. Take a look there. But I'll add my opinion having dealt with them recently, "their descriptions are intentionally vague and the pictures, are also intentionally just enough to peak your interest and may or may not be of the actual firearm. Colt letters? My impression is they are intentionally posted in a format you are unable to read...as none of the guns I discussed matched the Colt letter." If the prices don't scare you away at the very least buyer beware.

https://www.coltforum.com/forums/sin...nprime-al.html
    Last edited by Cozmo; 09-19-2019 at 10:15 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    866 times
    Well, there is the truth and then there is the whole truth.

I will continue to buy from our fine members here and dealers whom I've built a honest working relationship with.

Smoke and mirrors are not a way to sell.
    I don't know much but at least I know that much.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    15206 times
    This collective shared info certainly enlightened me about the seller much more. I’ve never made a purchase nor an inquiry with the seller. But...... I’ve always assumed that they must be an outstanding seller with outstanding quality
    items and terrific communication , because of the top shelf prices..
    sounds like I would be entirely mistaken.
    sounds like they fit that ol fine salesman saying... “ you can find better but ya can’t pay more. “
    🔫 WWYS

Member #
    Liked
    14601 times
    Ah, there is a sucker born every minute. I knew what I was getting into when the contact guy for both companies was the same and he had a NJ phone number. Seriously. I had to ask him where he really was. I do believe they are in Trussville, AL. But over priced guns and slick sales gimmicks have never slowed me down...no sir....never Well almost never. It was the unreadable Colt letters not matching the guns being sold..the letters that arrived with guns that had no factory boxes. That finally hinted to me that may be not everything was as one might expect in high dollar Colts. Yes it was a turnip truck I fell off of, but I didn't fall off last night. It was almost a week ago now
    STARVATION likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links