1903 SAA---Refinish and Engraving
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: 1903 SAA---Refinish and Engraving

Member #
    Liked
    15035 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Prowbar
    Look around for a 2nd gen Commemorative. Most are butt ugly, and cheap. Nice guns to refinish and engrave.

IMO exceptionally well founded advice. If you are engraving, the finish (or caliber or barrel length for that matter) doesn't matter. I've rebuilt half a dozen 2nd Gens now to guns I really like. Any of them would be a nice foundation for a family heirloom. I had a few guns built just for that reason and used NIB 3rds. When I do I again it won't be with a 3rd Gen gun.

This thread shows some fun options that the OP might find interesting.

https://www.coltforum.com/forums/sin...ing-grips.html
    Last edited by Cozmo; 10-08-2019 at 12:51 PM.
    Prowbar and Rick Bowles like this.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Looks like I can't post pics until I have, I think, 10 posts. This is only #4.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Itís your pistol. If you want to have it refinished and engraved you should do it! Especially if itís going to stay in your family. I have my granddads 1903 SAA that survived a fire but was in poor shape so I sent it back and had it refinished many years ago. Itís a beautiful pistol with colt custom grips. I havenít regretted it once
    scstrain likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    656 times
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Itís your pistol. If you want to have it refinished and engraved you should do it! Especially if itís going to stay in your family. I have my granddads 1903 SAA that survived a fire but was in poor shape so I sent it back and had it refinished many years ago. Itís a beautiful pistol with colt custom grips. I havenít regretted it once
    That is different. For one, yours probably lost all of its finish in the fire. Refinishing a Colt SAA that still has plenty of original finish is a crime.
    Jim Martin likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    15465 times
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    It’s your pistol. If you want to have it refinished and engraved you should do it! Especially if it’s going to stay in your family. I have my granddads 1903 SAA that survived a fire but was in poor shape so I sent it back and had it refinished many years ago. It’s a beautiful pistol with colt custom grips. I haven’t regretted it once
    You can also have your original, numbers matching 1965 GTO turned into a beach buggy but why? What we're suggesting is it's not necessary, it's counter intuitive, you'll lose money and another vintage GTO/SAA will be lost. One of the lessons around here is "it's only original once".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NRA Endowment Life Member
    CCA Member

Member #
    Liked
    1165 times
    Well if it were me...
    keep yours as it is...
    and if u really wanted a engraved one...
    keep yours and buy another one
    or sell yours and use the funds to buy one
    and if u really want one engraved...
    find one that is already engraved
    or buy a newer one and have that engraved by a quality engraver
    Anytime u take a older firearm and modify it to your taste
    Remember this ...most times that money will not be recovered...
    Just my 2 cents
    I took a damaged barrel early Ruger Blackhawk and made myself 44mag 4 5/8" gun...
    so i know the costs of going against the grain...
    but that is what I wanted and was willing to do all the work and it took 17 months and it is still not done
    God Bless,John

You can do anything u like
    But most of us here have learned the hard way and with these old Saa's
    They are getting harder to find and if the work is done 1000%... any hopes of added value are long lost

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jringo8769; 10-15-2019 at 06:20 AM.
    "Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
    1. Jesus Christ
    2. The American G. I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1166 times
    You only live once. If getting it engraved makes YOU happy and you plan on keeping it in the family anyway, then do it. I totally understand what the Colt Collectors are saying but sometimes it's not about collecting.
    jringo8769 and Rigby like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1042 times
    I say go for it. What the world needs is another engraved refinished Single Action. I have no idea why but everyone thinks having engraved guns is special. It seems there are more of them then original condition guns. Look how few posts we get on good condition first generation single actions. Now count all the "look at my engraved Colt" threads. Give me a good honest gun any day.
    This all started with one gun!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    15035 times
    Sure would like to see photos of your 7.5" gun. Only 6 more posts to go
    jringo8769 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I've already decided to keep the 1903 7.5" .45 SAA as is, in original condition.

Now, I'll look into starting with a 2nd Gen SAA .45 LC "Commemoratives" as an "empty canvas" for an engraving job, probably by Nutmeg.

What, if any, 2nd Gen "Commemoratives" came in "Gunfighter" barrel lengths? Which came in other barrel lengths, and is it worth the price to "relocate" the front sight...plus re-doing the barrel address?

I'm just asking for opinions....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links