1903 SAA---Refinish and Engraving
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: 1903 SAA---Refinish and Engraving

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

1903 SAA---Refinish and Engraving

I've got an older (1903) 7.5" SAA in pretty nice overall condition. I also have a real set of Ivory grips, purchased separately.

In my "Bucket List", I'd like to have a nice "Colt Quality" and "Colt Certified" refinisher and engraver (It'll be a family heirloom) that I can trust this work to?

Member #
    Liked
    1828 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom_Fighter View Post
    I've got an older (1903) 7.5" SAA in pretty nice overall condition. I also have a real set of Ivory grips, purchased separately.

In my "Bucket List", I'd like to have a nice "Colt Quality" and "Colt Certified" refinisher and engraver (It'll be a family heirloom) that I can trust this work to?
    I would never engrave or refinish any quality antique Colt. Especially a family heirloom. If I want a new-looking Colt SAA, then it would be best to buy a new one.
    Kerz, MarkInTx, Stefan A and 5 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    352 times

I think most, if not all, good SAA 'smiths & "restorers" will refuse to refinish a nice 1st gen. They will refinish one that has already been refinished or otherwise changed from original configuration. I'd suggest you find a decent 1st gen that has already been reblued, or had the caliber changed, and use that as a project gun. Then in 100 years it will be a family heirloom.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    OK, so that seems a resounding "NO!!!" on refinishing & engraving a 1st Gen original SAA.... Now, what's the current situation regarding original elephant ivory 2-piece grips? I've had those for many years, coated in mineral oil. Can they now be sold? Did DJT reverse the BHO ban?

Member #
    Liked
    202 times
    hang on to your ivory, cause you'll never be able to replace it.

1. Is the 1903 SAA something that has been in the family already? or was it purchased just for this project of creating a 'family heirloom'?
    2. a. If it was purchased just for this project, then has it already been refinished or is it in original condition?
    b. If it is already a 'family' gun, find another to use.
    3. If it was bought just for this project and has already been refinished, then have at it.

Member #
    Liked
    191 times
    Leave that old Colt alone.
    It doesn't need to be "improved on".

It's over a hundred years old.
    Let it wear its age with dignity.
    jringo8769 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    288 times
    I agree with Pthfndr985 - especially if the gun was bought for this project and does not have any family history. I would contact Nutmeg Sports. They do engraving for Colt and do great work. Here is a before and after close-up of my 1916 SAA (it had already been “converted” with 2nd gen barrel and cylinder when I bought it). The engraver on mine was Jerome Harper. I believe Nutmeg can also fit ivory if you own it - the main restriction is sales between states. (Verify with them though.)

Good luck!

QUOTE=Pthfndr985;3063895]hang on to your ivory, cause you'll never be able to replace it.

1. Is the 1903 SAA something that has been in the family already? or was it purchased just for this project of creating a 'family heirloom'?
    2. a. If it was purchased just for this project, then has it already been refinished or is it in original condition?
    b. If it is already a 'family' gun, find another to use.
    3. If it was bought just for this project and has already been refinished, then have at it.[/QUOTE]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    chrometank likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    The SAA was purchased 30 years ago, when SAAs were relatively reasonably priced ($300). It's about 75%, original finish; I'm not sure about the grips. I've shot it very little, with moderate .45 LC loads. It's not a family heirloom. Nonetheless, I've decided not to do anything to it; instead, I'll look for another "candidate" to turn into a factory heirloom. Too bad the "rattiest" SAA I have is also historically significant---it's an Artillery with frame serial# 5989---you can find it in Kopec, Mallory and Cochrane.... it was used in the Nez Perce War.
    Kerz and hwjhfs like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    615 times
    Shared info and pics are always appreciated!
    Welcome

Vic
    Preparedness + Opportunity = Luck
    NRA Benefactor Member
    KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

Member #
    Liked
    664 times
    The SAA was purchased 30 years ago, when SAAs were relatively reasonably priced ($300). It's about 75%, original finish; I'm not sure about the grips. I've shot it very little, with moderate .45 LC loads. It's not a family heirloom. Nonetheless, I've decided not to do anything to it; instead, I'll look for another "candidate" to turn into a factory heirloom. Too bad the "rattiest" SAA I have is also historically significant---it's an Artillery with frame serial# 5989---you can find it in Kopec, Mallory and Cochrane.... it was used in the Nez Perce War.
    Look around for a 2nd gen Commemorative. Most are butt ugly, and cheap. Nice guns to refinish and engrave.
    jringo8769 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links