ID SAA Branding Mark
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: ID SAA Branding Mark

Member #
    Liked
    14685 times
    I spent a few hours looking up family brands used in 3 states and going back to the oldest brand books I could fine. Even knowing the owners (which makes it a gazillion times easier) and specific years I knew the brands were being used, it still took some time. And I looked at hundreds of brands. Never did find the brands just looking through the brands!

Fun thing about that particular gun would beb finding the brand and the family it might have belonged to. I'm a big fan of the .32s.

I'd still start with the production date of the gun and go 10 years on either side of that, plus another 25 after production date.

And no question I would call on Monday and pay the extra expedited service just to get the original shipping location.

But then, I do like a good mystery
    ei8ht, lounick and victorio1sw like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1514 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NorwichCadet View Post
    Several asked for more pictures. Someone thought cylinder might be replaced. I kind of thought the same. Maybe thats part of the appeal. A real worn everyday service revolver that has been used out on the range!!! Value?Attachment 655375Attachment 655377Attachment 655379
    There is something wrong with this website! My original reply is gone. So here goes again.

The brand looks like a Rafter T, T Rafter, or some other interpretation. Cattle brand books exist at the State level, and also sometimes in the Counties. Also private printings of area cattle brands are known. Since "Yuma" is on this buttstrap, that may be the area to search.

Attached here are a few pages from an 1897 area brand book, just to show what these look like. This brand book was paid for by numerous ads of commission agents, saddle makers etc. The area covered were parts of Texas, Oklahoma Territory, New Mexico, Kansas, and Colorado.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by victorio1sw; 09-29-2019 at 08:55 PM.
    ei8ht and lounick like this.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Ok, so when did they stop beveling the cylinder? That's why I thought it may be a later cylinder in the other thread.
    lounick likes this.
    Amat Victoria Curam

Never buy a gun you'll have to make excuses for later

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    14685 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 29aholic View Post
    Looks like a later vintage cylinder to me?
    Cylinder bevel ended in 1904. Gun is from 1916 so the cylinder is correct. I doubt the 2 piece woods grips are...but they might be. I'd want to letter the gun to get any back story there. If I ordered a gun to carry in 1916 I'd want wood or ivory(+ $) for durability and not black plastic. 32-20 is a odd choice. Not a bad choice mind you, just odd for the use.
    Last edited by Cozmo; 10-01-2019 at 09:25 PM.
    29aholic likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    15317 times
    Zooming in with the iPad , Norwich’s pics still maintain some good resolution. Looks like a 38 WCF roll mark to me.
    Rick Bowles likes this.
    🔫 WWYS

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    I thought it looked like 38 WCF as well
    Amat Victoria Curam

Never buy a gun you'll have to make excuses for later

Member #
    Liked
    14685 times
    Easy enough to see why one might at first think it is a 38 as most of the middle and lower part of the 2 is gone. On closer inspection the straight line at the bottom of the 2 and that line's 90 degree turn to vertical at the end of the 2's bottom tells me it is a 32 and not a 38.

32-20 makes a decent gun while in a saddle. The SAA might no be the best weapon's platform to take full advantage of the cartridge though. Enough power to put down an ailing horse or cow up close. Not enough to get the immediate attention of a big bull though. Or drop dinner in the form of a deer or a elk. Not that a 44 or a 45 will get you dinner but may be easier than a 32-20. A 32 sure makes packing extra ammo easy if you don't mind packing the extra gun weight on your belt all day Gun weights with similar material for the grips run 2# 5oz for a 45 and 2# 11oz for a 32. Lack of recoil, with a lessor cartridge and a heavier gun makes me think the gun in question could have been a youngster's. Obviously pure speculation on my part. But to be fair during that time frame the 32-20 was very well respected in some circles for personal protection, including a limited use in law enforcement.

38wcf

gun in question...

32wcf
    Last edited by Cozmo; 10-02-2019 at 05:59 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    15317 times
    I donít know.. that middle picture all zoomed in.. Iím pretty sure thatís a 33 WCF.
    It donít look like a good number 8 or a good number 2.

Iím betting 33 WCFís really are a Colt rare gun if ever there was one..
    Last edited by what would you say; 10-02-2019 at 07:59 PM.
    az_colt, JTom and Capps like this.
    🔫 WWYS

Member #
    Liked
    15192 times
    Dane is correct, it's a .32 WCF, the giveaway is the flat base of the 2
    superdave269 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    In Texas the County Clerk keeps the brand registration records. We found the branding iron in the museum dated from 1855 and was registered to the county judge.

Brands are only protected in the county where they are registered and must be re-registered periodically to protect them. Make sense? If I live across the county line from you and register your brand in my county I could make sure some of your branded cattle showed up on my range. How could you prove it?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links