Is this what I think it is?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Is this what I think it is?

Member #
    Liked
    15491 times
    My guess is she took a package deal on the whole lot that is worth way less than the flat top by it's self
    HEY, can you get us the name of the dealer? I wouldn't be surprised if HE doesn't know what he has!
    Last edited by Rick Bowles; 10-06-2019 at 03:56 PM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NRA Endowment Life Member
    CCA Member

Member #
    byron bay australia: home of the east coast blue's festivle
    Liked
    481 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 22_Matt View Post
    There's a VP, proof stamp on the trigger guard. Those don't start until 1904. Possibly a later grip frame? It shoud have a matching serial number. Looks like a great find reguardless. There must be a treasure chest in that attic. What were the other guns?
    Flat Tops can be a strange breed,with things that dont seem to add up.Quite a few are found with the push button pin release, but well below the accepted 160000 range.
    Look in the latest book by hoyt and wilkinson.
    My friend owns a 38 in the 140000 range but has the push button release.(possible request from the British)
    Nothing is normal with colts.

Member #
    Liked
    517 times
    Were there ever any Flattops with color case hardened frames? I have only seen blued but I haven't seen that many.

OP, sorry you didn't get the gun but thanks for sharing with us.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    15491 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LonesomePigeon View Post
    Were there ever any Flattops with color case hardened frames? I have only seen blued but I haven't seen that many.

OP, sorry you didn't get the gun but thanks for sharing with us.
    I think they could be ordered with CCH frame but the standard was full blue with CCH hammers.
    Rick likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NRA Endowment Life Member
    CCA Member

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3368 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 22_Matt View Post
    There's a VP, proof stamp on the trigger guard. Those don't start until 1904. Possibly a later grip frame? It shoud have a matching serial number. Looks like a great find reguardless. There must be a treasure chest in that attic. What were the other guns?
    The owner needs to make sure they have the serial number correct and then contact colt archives and see when the gun was shipped. If it was shipped in the 1890's then about the only way to explain the VP on the triggerguard bow would be that it went back to colt after 1904 or so and was worked on and when colt had it they proofed it. Or another possibility is that it could be a really late shipped out of range gun.
    Chaffee and cloverleaf like this.
    Always interested in adding nice, original or interesting pre 1940 single actions to my private collection. Contact me via PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3330 times
    Beautiful gun. This is one of those " WHAT DREAMS ARE MADE OF " .. Thanks for sharing it with us here. WOW !!!!
    saintclair likes this.
    - Terry -
    " WVCOLT "

" God created man, but Samuel Colt made them equal "
    " I carry because I'm too young to die and too old to run "

Member #
    Liked
    293 times
    An original flattop is highest of all on my wish list as well ... shame you missed that one !

Far as the vp goes, maybe it had been returned to Colt at some point after 1900 and they stamped the bow like so. I've read plenty about guns being returned for various reasons and upon factory inspection (& then release) many were givin the vp smokeless stamp... including certain series of blackpowder frame Colts. So who knows.

Hell of a nice Flattop either way
    WVCOLT likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1860 times
    Example. Serial indicates 1902 manufacture. However, not shipped until March, 1910. No VP stamping.898AEE98-39AC-4615-9DAC-DCF407320B83.jpg

Member #
    Liked
    517 times
    Rick I notice yours is a .45 Colt whereas the original poster's is a .38 Colt. Maybe a .38 Colt would be more likely to get a VP stamp than a .45 Colt when using up the old frames.

Member #
    Liked
    1860 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LonesomePigeon View Post
    Rick I notice yours is a .45 Colt whereas the original poster's is a .38 Colt. Maybe a .38 Colt would be more likely to get a VP stamp than a .45 Colt when using up the old frames.
    Possible.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links