Colt Bisley Frontier Six Shooter - Caliber?
Like Tree26Likes
  • 2 Post By Raptide
  • 6 Post By WVCOLT
  • 5 Post By Monsai52
  • 2 Post By cloverleaf
  • 3 Post By Raptide
  • 4 Post By WVCOLT
  • 4 Post By Ugly

Thread: Colt Bisley Frontier Six Shooter - Caliber?

Member #
    Liked
    18 times

Colt Bisley Frontier Six Shooter - Caliber?

I just was offered a Colt Bisley made in 1900. It appears to have been refinished. the lettering is faint and I can't find any caliber markings. The cylinder is smaller than a 45, but bigger than a 38. 44 Special and 44 magnum are too long to fit all the way in the cylinder. I assume that it is a 44-40, but I don't have 44-40 ammo to test this theory.

Did Colt mark all Bisleys with the calibers? The caliber markings on this pistol may have been sanded off when it was refinished.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Dick
    WVCOLT and Ugly like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3333 times
    Hello... I really like the Bisley Model myself. Below should answer your question my friend. Have a good one.

Bisleys were serial-numbered in the range of 156300—331916, in the same sequence as the Single Action Army. All Bisleys after No.161,376 had "BISLEY MODEL" with the caliber stamped on the left side of the barrel, which is rare for older Colt revolvers. The most common calibers were .32-20, .38-40, .45 Colt, .44-40, .41 Colt, and the British calibers .450 Eley and .455 Eley. A total number of 44,350 were manufactured. Production of the Bisley was terminated in 1912, but serial No. 331916 was shipped after the First World War. Most Bisley Standard Model Revolvers shipped to a United States address were not used for target shooting, but for self-defense, because the grip and hammer were ideal for fast shooting.
    Last edited by WVCOLT; 10-07-2019 at 03:49 PM.
    jrm, krag96, Ugly and 3 others like this.
    - Terry -
    " WVCOLT "

" God created man, but Samuel Colt made them equal "
    " I carry because I'm too young to die and too old to run "

Member #
    Liked
    3198 times
    If the barrel is roll stamped "Frontier Six-Shooter" it's a 44-40 (44WCF); that roll stamp was only used on the 44-40. Colt did not add the 44-40 caliber designation to that roll mark until after the Bisley was discontinued.

Best regards,
    Last edited by Monsai52; 10-07-2019 at 06:52 PM.
    My opinion is free, and worth every penny of it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    793 times
    sounds like a 38/40
    A bottle necked cartridge
    WVCOLT and Ugly like this.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Thanks for all of the help. The barrel is (roll?) stamped (Bisley Model) in parentheses over Colt Frontier Six Shooter, on the left side of the barrel.
    The top of the barrel has the standard "Colt Mfg, Hartford Ct." stamping. There is no caliber stamping that I can find. Serial number is 195133.
    I think Monsai52 describes it correctly as a 44-40. Now I need to get some 44-40 ammo to verify this.
    Ugly, krag96 and WVCOLT like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3333 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptide View Post
    Thanks for all of the help. The barrel is (roll?) stamped (Bisley Model) in parentheses over Colt Frontier Six Shooter, on the left side of the barrel.
    The top of the barrel has the standard "Colt Mfg, Hartford Ct." stamping. There is no caliber stamping that I can find. Serial number is 195133.
    I think Monsai52 describes it correctly as a 44-40. Now I need to get some 44-40 ammo to verify this.
    I believe this is the right path from your description anyway. Good luck to you with the Bisley my friend.
    Raptide, Colt-SL, Ugly and 1 others like this.
    - Terry -
    " WVCOLT "

" God created man, but Samuel Colt made them equal "
    " I carry because I'm too young to die and too old to run "

Member #
    Liked
    3082 times
    Bisley's are very nice Colts if that is your first on that's a outstanding start. They seem to have been quite popular in the south west. Pistolero's like Pancho Villa favored them.

I stupidly missed a great one in Oklahoma back in the 70's. It probably belonged to Heck Thomas.

(*(&%#!

lol

Welcome to the Colt forum!
    Raptide, WVCOLT, krag96 and 1 others like this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links