• 2 Post By what would you say

Thread: Long Flute Cylinder or what?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    901 times

Long Flute Cylinder or what?

This cylinder has appearance of a long flute cylinder. I put it in my 1st G and it cycles properly. It is definitely old/used but the ratchet looks like a 3rd G. Also, the flutes don't appear quite as long as pictures Ive seen. What say others? THANKSIMG_3006.jpgIMG_3008.jpgIMG_3009.jpg
    victorio1sw likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    901 times

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7316 times
    Flutes
    Sorry I'm not knowledgeable enough to identify your's . I have no doubt someone will drop in to assist .

Condition Yellow

Please support Crimson Trace Grips , Mossberg and Beretta . They support our troops .

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1828 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NorwichCadet View Post
    This cylinder has appearance of a long flute cylinder. I put it in my 1st G and it cycles properly. It is definitely old/used but the ratchet looks like a 3rd G. Also, the flutes don't appear quite as long as pictures Ive seen. What say others? THANKSIMG_3006.jpgIMG_3008.jpgIMG_3009.jpg
    Original long flute cylinders came from the Colt M1878 DA's. These cylinders are different from the normal Colt SAA, with more than just "long flutes". The cylinder pin bushing is inserted from the front, but only goes in about 1". The ratchet has a short integral bushing that almost touches the other bushing. The ratchet is also "keyed"so that rotation is impossible. That key slides into a slot in the cylinder, which is cut into the bushing hole. Thus, looking from the rear of the cylinder, no bushing is apparent. But if one looks through the bushing, the joint can be seen between the two sections.

What you have appears to be an original long flute cylinder, as used on Colt SAA's numbered 330000 to 331480 (plus a few outside this range).

Cylinder shown below is from #331143. Your flute may look shorter, but I can see that a great deal of polishing has been done on your cylinder, and that will "shorten" the back end of your flutes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by victorio1sw; 10-07-2019 at 06:13 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    901 times
    yes, the bushing is short and as you look thru the bushing there is a joint where it meets the keyed ratchet. Should one be able to remove the short bushing inserted from front or is it pressed in secured like 3rd G. ??
    victorio1sw likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1828 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NorwichCadet View Post
    yes, the bushing is short and as you look thru the bushing there is a joint where it meets the keyed ratchet. Should one be able to remove the short bushing inserted from front or is it pressed in secured like 3rd G. ??
    Originally the short bushing was loose, and would nearly fall out of the front of the cylinder. If the short bushing is stuck, there are two ways to remove it. When new, that bushing was flared outward at the front end. I made a two-piece "puller" out of brass. When both halves of this puller are in place, those halves are then c-clamped tightly together. This simply provides a temporary plug for that bushing, so that it can be punched out from the ratchet end. No damage is done to the bushing, when removed in this manner.

But if that original flared end has worn away (leaving forward-backward movement of the cylinder), there is a simple destructive way to remove the worn bushing. The hole in that bushing measures 1/4" in diameter. Use a 5/16 x 18 tap and tap the front end of that bushing, then insert a short 5/16 x 18 screw to plug the end. Drive out the bushing as before. That destroys the original bushing, but it needs replacing anyway. A standard 1st or 2nd Gen bushing can be shortened in a lathe to replace the old one.

Of course, once the front bushing has been removed, then the ratchet-bushing section can be driven out too, if desired. Always do the punch-out with an undersized brass punch. I buy 1/4" brass welding rod stock to make all kinds of soft punches, sight drifts, etc. One brass welding (brazing) rod is 36" long.
    Last edited by victorio1sw; 10-09-2019 at 03:52 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    749 times
    Actually Vic, you can run the bolt through a deep well socket then into the bushing and using a ratchet it will pull the bushing out without trying to drive it out. Less effort and less room for error.
    Amat Victoria Curam

Never buy a gun you'll have to make excuses for later

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22748 times
    To me the Norwich Cadet cylinder flute has a wider profile than on a normal LF Colt cylinder. Note the short distance between the flute edge and the edge of the notch.

I actually have an extra original Colt LF cylinder I purchased from a Colt Forum member.
    Last edited by saintclair; 10-10-2019 at 09:02 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    15801 times
    I agree with Terry on the OP’s cylinder flutes. It appears wider to me .. really close to the edge of that notch. .. and more rounded at the end of the flute. The example that victorio provided looks minutely different and correct to me.
    saintclair and victorio1sw like this.
    🔫 WWYS

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links