• 1 Post By saintclair

Thread: 2nd G. .44 Special Barrel Puzzle

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    900 times

2nd G. .44 Special Barrel Puzzle

I was not aware of the rarity of 2nd G .44 Special revolvers until this barrel recently came to me. It is an "in-the-white" 43/4" .44 Special barrel. Research indicates there were no 2nd G 43/4" revolvers produced and the .44 Sp was often altered. The barrel looks new other than few very miner drawer dings. The bore is mint. My research tells me this is a longer 2nd G barrel .44 Sp barrel that has been shortened to a 43/4" length and a new unusually high front sight installed. What say the experts? What can you tell me about the front sight? THANKSIMG_3057.jpgIMG_3058.jpgIMG_3064.jpgIMG_3060.jpg

Member #
    Liked
    15059 times
    I bet you already know. 7.5" cut to a 4 3/4". Over size front sight that needs to be shaped and cut down depending on the ammo you want to use. They didn't get the slot on the back side of the sight totally filled. Perfect candidate to turn down and clean up the sight, then have new roll marked applied with a two line address and a new caliber stamp like a 1st Gen barrel. Expensive..refinish there. Or just screw it on, cut the sight to match the intended ammo and them pull it back off the frame and blue it to hide the blemishes.
    lounick and hwjhfs like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22727 times
    Early 2nd gen SAA bbl's in 44 special had the 'wide' lettering as seen on your barrel. Below is the lettering that was used on later 2nd gen 44 special barrels:

DSCN3200.jpg
    jringo8769 likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links