Would like an honest review of this gun
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Would like an honest review of this gun

Member #
    Liked
    1845 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LonesomePigeon View Post
    What about the hammer checkering? Is it supposed to be that long?
    If the 3 notches were OK, they (Colt or arsenal) could have re-used a very early hammer.

Member #
    My boots are stained with Confederate soil
    Liked
    1886 times
    I am late to this thread. I think what others have pointed out is sound advice, especially Rick Bowles and victorio1sw. I, too, would expect to see periods after the "U" and "S". Based on what John Kopec says will tell you how to proceed or whether or not to proceed. I think that, overall, the revolver appears to be generally correct and the observations with regards to the sight and Lot 5 trigger guard are valid. I would think that the trigger guard would add 10% to the value of this revolver. I think at $3900 it is reaching the upper limits of true value provided that the findings of those of us on the forum are valid and it garnishes a decent letter from John Kopec. Due to problems identified, a Gold Seal letter would be impossible.

Member #
    My boots are stained with Confederate soil
    Liked
    1886 times
    Quote Originally Posted by victorio1sw View Post
    Is that silver solder overflow around the front sight? That's what it looks like, and if so, was sloppy work at some arsenal!
    The quality of this work, or lack thereof, strongly suggests that it is not work performed at an Arsenal, but rather a later repair.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    482 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcvs View Post
    The quality of this work, or lack thereof, strongly suggests that it is not work performed at an Arsenal, but rather a later repair.
    That's exactly what I am thinking? I agree with
    Victorio1sw that is silver solder flow around the sight. I feel sure it was done later on in the life of the gun. Can't believe an arsenal smith would do that and not clean it up and reblue.
    Dennis

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1721 times
    Many good comments on this gun. The front sight repair appears good except for the un-dressed solder flow. Might have been left by someone who did not want to re-blue the barrel after the repair. Not done by Colt, but maybe by a military armorer - who knows. The frame appears to have been lightly polished when it was re-cased which might explain the missing "US" periods. The grips appear to be well fitted and appear original from the original SA alteration in 1898 but inconsistent with any replacement grips if the gun was refurbished by Colt during 1901-03.

I like the gun overall. But the many questions could be answered by a Factory letter stating whether the gun was returned for refurbishment during 1901-03 and a favorable Kopec letter.

In my experience a legitimite 5 serial number Artillery in high condition is not easy to find. I feel a Factory letter and favorable Kopec letter would add $2K to $3K in value to this gun.
    lboos, mrcvs and Rick Bowles like this.

Member #
    Liked
    482 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MrRush View Post
    Many good comments on this gun. The front sight repair appears good except for the un-dressed solder flow. Might have been left by someone who did not want to re-blue the barrel after the repair. Not done by Colt, but maybe by a military armorer - who knows. The frame appears to have been lightly polished when it was re-cased which might explain the missing "US" periods. The grips appear to be well fitted and appear original from the original SA alteration in 1898 but inconsistent with any replacement grips if the gun was refurbished by Colt during 1901-03.

I like the gun overall. But the many questions could be answered by a Factory letter stating whether the gun was returned for refurbishment during 1901-03 and a favorable Kopec letter.

In my experience a legitimite 5 serial number Artillery in high condition is not easy to find. I feel a Factory letter and favorable Kopec letter would add $2K to $3K in value to this gun.
    Oh me just when I had decided I didn't want to live with that solder mess!

I would assume cleaning up the solder and a reblue would devalue the gun but by how much?
    tdennis

Member #
    Liked
    1869 times
    IMO, a reblue would not be a good idea from a value standpoint.
    MrRush and Rick Bowles like this.

Member #
    Liked
    750 times
    I think the front sight area could be cleaned up some without having to reblue it.
    MrRush and Cozmo like this.
    Amat Victoria Curam

Never buy a gun you'll have to make excuses for later

Member #
    Liked
    482 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 29aholic View Post
    I think the front sight area could be cleaned up some without having to reblue it.
    How should this be done. I can 't imagine being done wit a file no matter how careful you are.
    tdennis

Member #
    Liked
    482 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 29aholic View Post
    It's a moot point anyway the gun just sold for $4500.00
    tdennis

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links