Would like an honest review of this gun
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Would like an honest review of this gun

Member #
    Liked
    478 times

Would like an honest review of this gun

I don't own a martial Colt, and have been scared to buy one because they are so often faked or have improper parts. This one looks decent but price seems low for condition. Would like comments on how legit it is. The first thing I noticed is the front sight, it doesn't look like a pro installed it.

079-0919-9026, Colt SA Artillery, RAINBOW HUES, BLUE, FINE OVERALL. » Antique Guns
    tdennis

Member #
    Liked
    790 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tdennis View Post
    I don't own a martial Colt, and have been scared to buy one because they are so often faked or have improper parts. This one looks decent but price seems low for condition. Would like comments on how legit it is. The first thing I noticed is the front sight, it doesn't look like a pro installed it.

079-0919-9026, Colt SA Artillery, RAINBOW HUES, BLUE, FINE OVERALL. » Antique Guns
    tdennis
    I am also leery of the Artillery's.
    The front sight looks bad
    WVCOLT likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    15459 times
    Parts of it look nice, especially the Lot 5 trigger guard, but the front sight is a problem and the hammer seems to be sitting high. In 1885 I would expect to see a period or two with the US. No Kopec letter is always a red flag with these. I would call John and see if he's lettered this gun previously, I'd bet he has.
    WVCOLT, mrcvs, Mikebiker and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NRA Endowment Life Member
    CCA Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1750 times
    The trigger guard 5108 is close to Colt #5100 which was recovered from the Custer battlefield.
    2horses likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    478 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bowles View Post
    Parts of it look nice, especially the Lot 5 trigger guard, but the front sight is a problem and the hammer seems to be sitting high. In 1885 I would expect to see a period or two with the US. No Kopec letter is always a red flag with these. I would call John and see if he's lettered this gun previously, I'd bet he has.
    Thanks I think I might do that.
    Dennis

Member #
    Liked
    173 times
    That barrel sure doesn't look like 5 1/2"
    The patent date says Sept 19 1871. Correct me if I'm off base but shouldn't the patent date be 1873 or better?
    "The ruling elite of this society has got to get over their hostility toward religious people and their values." Carl Paladino.

Member #
    Liked
    173 times
    I guessed I stepped in it here with my 1871 patent date comment. Ouch. Someone enlighten me please....
    "The ruling elite of this society has got to get over their hostility toward religious people and their values." Carl Paladino.

Member #
    Liked
    1037 times
    I think the hammer is high due to it being on the first notch rather then all the way down. I see no real red flags. The sight could have been replaced or repaired for any number of reasons in the last 120 years. If you are looking for absolute perfection in a 100 plus year old gun / tool make sure you have enough years left to complete the journey. Better pictures would sure help to sell a 5000 dollar gun.
    chrometank and Cozmo like this.
    This all started with one gun!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    1748 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tdennis View Post

tdennis
    This one looks like a superior grade mixed number "artillery". The italic barrel should have a 1st type ejector housing, although it may be "ungraded" with an added slot for quicker rod head removal. Is that silver solder overflow around the front sight? That's what it looks like, and if so, was sloppy work at some arsenal! They just needed to polish off that solder prior to bluing. The sight contours and color look proper. Overall it appears to be an OK gun.
    Last edited by victorio1sw; 10-12-2019 at 08:48 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    517 times
    What about the hammer checkering? Is it supposed to be that long?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links