Is this acceptable for a Turnbull restoration?
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Is this acceptable for a Turnbull restoration?

Member #
    Liked
    15474 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dogface
    …. and remember - that shop doesn't always turn out impeccable work - they just charge for it.
    I've been dealing with Turnbull's shop work for 25+ years now. You can make book on DF's comment above. It isn't their first mistake or likely the last. I wouldn't let that error stand. Send it back and have them fix it. And yes, in the grand scheme of things it is an easy fix. Helps that they do their own color case hardening
    lounick, Homerfan, CHIZ and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    154 times
    A SAA just sold for $400,000 with an improper over-stamp. Perhaps it makes yours worth more now...
    bearcat6 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    924 times
    I'm with Dogface on this one, it would bother the hell out of me.

Knowing what you paid to have Turnbull do that would really bother me.

Take care, Duane
    I don't know much but at least I know that much.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    Have you contacted them (Turnbull) to see what their stance is? They seem to be a pretty upstanding company... Just a thought.
    "There is nothing permanent except change." - Heraclitus

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    16187 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azshot View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it, it's water under the bridge now. And on SAAs at least the numbers often seem misaligned on originals.
    I was just about to say that it’s sort of funny that it resembles a 1st gen with the misaligned serial.
    JTom likes this.
    🔫 WWYS

Member #
    Liked
    15474 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cozmo
    I've been dealing with Turnbull's shop work for 25+ years now.……..
    To be fair here and not make it sound as hard as I might have originally. I have two projects in the works right now at Turnbull's. One that needed correcting that I had to send back. And one that is there now they are working on. As I mentioned I have been working with them for 25+ years. Which should imply that I like their work...which I do. But anyone can make a mistake...and we all do. But when you charge a fair bit over typical shop rates you need to get it perfect.

In the 30+ years of jobbing out work I have had almost every supplier I use redo something. With one rare exception, generally no big deal, you just need to ask. Even my "rare exception" has a new job they are working on for me at the moment. Hard to say, "never again" and stick to it over a couple of decades
    CWO4USCGRET and colt03 like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    482 times
    The gun as a whole is fantastic and I'm very happy with the work they did...except for the re-numbering on the frame which 1. I don't get why they did it and 2. they completely botched it up. My question is, can it be re-done without taking more metal off the frame? So like can they weld it up a bit, shave it down, and re-number? If I can get them to own this and fix it I would like to go that route, I'm just not sure if it's something that's fixable so that's what I need help with.

Member #
    Liked
    15474 times
    Yes, it is easily fixable. Up to them as to how they decide to do it. But as I said earlier, easy to fix.

Could weld it up, could cut the frame down or a combo of both. Either way the fame will need to be refinished. If they decide the best way to do it is cut the frame down then the trigger guard will need to be refit/recut as well. None of that, no matter how they do it, is rocket science, just costly in labor and time.

But...very easy to do.
    Last edited by Cozmo; 10-15-2019 at 10:07 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    1925 times
    Turnbull shouldn't have messed with the frame numbers at all, and definitely not re-stamping them. Maybe engraving to deepen would be considered OK, but I won't speculate on what can be done with a main serial number.

I can say that sloppy numbering was also done at Colt during original production, with some periods of time showing worse numbering than others. Numbers stamped out of alignment, and even overstamping an incorrect number was done at Colt.
    Last edited by victorio1sw; 10-15-2019 at 09:43 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Wow, and the one screw is hosed up also.
    victorio1sw likes this.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links