Is this acceptable for a Turnbull restoration?
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Is this acceptable for a Turnbull restoration?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    476 times
    SHOOTER13 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    15270 times
    Is this the same gun you had the color case redone when it came back too dark?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    476 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cozmo View Post
    Is this the same gun you had the color case redone when it came back too dark?
    Good memory! No, this is a different one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    15553 times
    DAYUM, that looks gorgeous!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NRA Endowment Life Member
    CCA Member

Member #
    Liked
    6488 times
    I worked in a metal shop one time, creating "art" home fixtures. We offered 3-4 finishes that were different "patinas". A customer would commission a lamp or such and we'd make it, then apply the chemicals to create the green/blue patina they chose, and wait to see how it turned out. Each was unique. I can't tell you how many times we lost money because the customer would not like the patina, saying
    "but it needs more Bluish colors....but the splotches aren't aesthetically pleasing...but...but... So the owner would have the piece stripped down, and get workers to "TRY" to patina with more blue, or smaller splotches that looked like little kittens or whatever the customer wanted (usually a woman). Incredibly sometimes the customer STILL didn't like it, or would say "I liked the first one better." All this for a $80 lamp sconce.

I told the owner he was going to go out of business with his model: "the customer can order rework ad nauseum - on a natural, random patina process".

Turnbull is like this. They are commissioned to create their art. It is not perfectly faithful to 1910s Colt work. It's as close as they can get. Some things they do better at, like case hardening and polishing. Some things maybe less than perfect. Because they are not Colt, with 25 year Colt experienced workers, tooling, jigs, techniques. They are artists, and if you like samples of Turnbull's work, you commission a job and they create it - in THEIR way. The idea that you can then demand rework because of aesthetics is getting carried away. A major problem, yes, but not the alignment and depth of a stamped serial number!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    476 times
    If they charged me $80 I wouldn't be bothered as much. Obviously they charge a LOT of money, more than I paid for the gun. They're not Bubba, so I expect more. To me that seems like really sloppy work for an otherwise really nice piece and it sounds like I'm not the only one in this thread who thinks so - but that's why I came here, to get your opinions. If the consensus was don't worry about it, it's fine the way it is, I'd let it go.
    azshot likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    476 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bowles View Post
    DAYUM, that looks gorgeous!
    Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    15553 times
    As I tried to say, I'm afraid you've waited way too long to be dissatisfied. If I were Turnbull my first instinct would be that you tried to sell it, the customer balked at the serial number and you came back on them. It's a beautiful SAA, if you truly can't live with it I'm sure you can sell it, recoup your money and start again.
    Kerz and RDS like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NRA Endowment Life Member
    CCA Member

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    476 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bowles View Post
    As I tried to say, I'm afraid you've waited way too long to be dissatisfied. If I were Turnbull my first instinct would be that you tried to sell it, the customer balked at the serial number and you came back on them. It's a beautiful SAA, if you truly can't live with it I'm sure you can sell it, recoup your money and start again.
    Yep, you may be right. It has been 2 years. Well, I'm waiting on a call back and we'll see what they have to say. I'll keep it regardless of what they say because I really do love the piece aside from the messed up serial.

Member #
    Liked
    15270 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bbates
    .. It has been 2 years. Well, I'm waiting on a call back and we'll see what they have to say....
    Two years is a bit much. But you are a return customer and have spent some money there and likely will again. Sara and Joon have emails. If you haven't already, a photo pretty much tells the story on the serial number. Costly mistake? Sure, if you have to fix it. But they have all the skills and expertise to do so easy enough. Who pays might be a question
    Kerz likes this.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links