Is this acceptable for a Turnbull restoration?
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Is this acceptable for a Turnbull restoration?

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bbates123 View Post
    OK, that literally made me LOL! Yeah, it does sound like a really good deal doesn't it? . I'm hoping to hear them say that they weld up, then grind down.
    Don't believe a weld job would be included at that price.....Just grab a big ole cigar....set back with your feet up and watch a good western with the sixgun in hand and tell yourself....I have one very nice gun. Problem solved lol!

SAA44
    Hopalong and CraigC like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1131 times
    Anything other then welding and restamping would remove too much metal. Those numbers go deep. If they do not want to weld it in order to fix it i would leave it alone. The lesser of two evils thing applies.
    This all started with one gun!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7221 times
    If it was my gun, I'd leave it alone. I have a 1907 SAA, and the numbers were very poorly stamped - much worse than the gun in question. That being said, I know what it's like to have something eat at you. $300 is not bad, assuming the case color comes out to your liking. One question to consider is what to do if you're not happy with how they stamp the new number. It may never look quite like it did originally. If that occurs, it may still eat at you, in addition to having spent the extra $300.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    484 times
    They told me yesterday that they would weld that area up. They also told me that the CC would come out similar. That's honestly the part that worries me the most. So, decisions decisions. I'm still leaning towards leaving it be. Tim, I'm interested in seeing your 1907 stamping...can you share a pic? I've seen some poorly stamped originals but nothing as bad as what they did to my gun.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2040 times
    I'm about as anal-retentive as they come but I'd get over that one real easy. Forest and trees and all that.
    jringo8769 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7221 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bbates123 View Post
    They told me yesterday that they would weld that area up. They also told me that the CC would come out similar. That's honestly the part that worries me the most. So, decisions decisions. I'm still leaning towards leaving it be. Tim, I'm interested in seeing your 1907 stamping...can you share a pic? I've seen some poorly stamped originals but nothing as bad as what they did to my gun.
    Rene, I will take a pic and post it for you.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7221 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopalong View Post
    Rene, I will take a pic and post it for you.
    Notice how bad the trigger guard number looks.

Rick Bowles likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    917 times
    I would just let it go, it's not like mine which has had 114 years of owners not doing a thing about the rust almost totally destroying the stampings. It's only original once. Turnbull told me it would "restore" mine for a bunch of money, but that would destroy the value. So I've come to a understanding with my revolver, as long as it still puts rounds downrange, I'll leave it be. If I want pretty revolvers I need to buy new.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    Uberti Open Top 1872 model in .45Colt with 7 1/2" barrel, Colt M1945A1, Winchester 1873 & 94.

Member #
    Liked
    917 times
    Another comment....my serial numbers look like Jack Elam hand stamped them by just eyeballing each hammer strike.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    Uberti Open Top 1872 model in .45Colt with 7 1/2" barrel, Colt M1945A1, Winchester 1873 & 94.

Member #
    Liked
    1491 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopalong View Post
    Notice how bad the trigger guard number looks.

We have discussed those "squished" numbers before and never came up with an explanation. They are most all in the 1898-1910 era. But, they are all aligned. And, that is how the gun came originally from Colt, not over stamped cockeyed numbers negligently done by some non Colt workman 110+ years later.
    Cozmo likes this.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links