Is this acceptable for a Turnbull restoration?
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Is this acceptable for a Turnbull restoration?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    484 times

Is this acceptable for a Turnbull restoration?

Hey guys, had Turnbull do a restoration of a 38-40 a few years ago. This was a gun that had already been re-blued some time in the past so there was no original finish...but, what I do know is that the frame serial number didn't used to look messy like it does now. The 2nd and 3rd numbers from left (5 and 6)were misaligned and were a little weak, but the numbers looked proper and were properly spaced. Looks like they maybe tried to overstrike the numbers to make them stand out more? Anyhow, I thought I was maybe being too fussy at first but the more I look at this the more it bugs me. Should I let it go or should I have asked them to do something about this? (if even anything can be done at this point)

38wcf.jpg

Member #
    Liked
    604 times
    Do you have pictures of the serial number from before you sent the gun to Turnbull?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    484 times
    Unfortunately not. I just know for sure it didn't look like that.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    524 times
    IMO no, especially for what they charge and their reputation.

Member #
    Liked
    10214 times
    I'll tell you something you might have already guessed, but 'now' your eyes will immediately see that imperfection, and it'll irritate the hell out of you.

Sell/trade the piece and find another - and remember - that shop doesn't always turn out impeccable work - they just charge for it.

Member #
    Liked
    15743 times
    The numbers are pretty deep, I doubt much can be done without removing more metal than would be comfortable. I'd like to see the entire gun!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NRA Endowment Life Member
    CCA Member

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    484 times
    Thanks guys. Is it possible to have them tig weld and re-stamp or is that not possible on a case hardened area?

Member #
    Liked
    6519 times
    I wouldn't worry about it, it's water under the bridge now. And on SAAs at least the numbers often seem misaligned on originals.

Member #
    Liked
    83 times
    Just my opinion, but that would drive me crazy. Personally, I think they did a terrible job of re-numbering the frame. Even looks like the 5 and 8 overlap. Rick is right, removing those numbers and re-stamping them would probably not work out well. I'm not impressed with what appears to be an egg shaped hole for the cylinder pin screw, either. Full view photos would be nice.

Member #
    Liked
    6519 times
    I guess I'm glad I didn't let them work on my Bisley 20 years ago, when they quoted me $500 for a full restoration. It could have been worse.
    victorio1sw likes this.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links