Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: New to SAA DI I make a mistake

Member #
    Liked
    1912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by byronhassen View Post
    was just the "A"s added later to increase value
    If the "A"s were added then the "U.S." also had to be added. It was possibly a commercial sale that someone tried to turn into a military issue?? I can see an "A" and the "P" on the bottom of the barrel. Perhaps some larger, close ups of that area would help. Also, the barrel serial number is under the ejector housing if you want to remove the housing and photo that.
    MarkInTx likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    362 times
    Interesting question Markln Tx my goals was to get a gun built and distributed in that era, wanted to beat 1900, I read kopec's website warning of fakes, Just how much is faked? was just the "A"s added later to increase value or was the whole thing fabricated in 1982 and artfully altered to mimic a gun created 1800s. So was this particular gun actually built in 1800s and slightly doctored? I'll have to research and ponder some more. Off to work for now.
    Most U.S. Colts under 30000 will not have archive data for a letter from Colt. The only way you will really ever know if this is a true early Ainsworth is to send it off to Mr. Kopec. I suspect if someone was going to fake one, they would not have picked this serial number range because as MikeBiker pointed out this is in the middle of the range of U.S. Colts that were sold to the state of Virginia and later sold back and many were nickel plated and sold on the civilian market. So it would not have been issued to any of the Cavalry units at that time. It is not an absolute guarantee but if you want an early Ainsworth that was "probably" issued to a Cavalry unit during the Indian Wars, stay under the 8000 serial range and make sure it has a Kopec letter.
    hwjhfs likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1880 times
    IMO, grips replaced not just sanded. Barrel gives me pause but not sure. As Keith said seeing the serial on barrel would help but i just get a uncomfortable feeling about this one.
    BTY, all the military inspected guns were cartouched.
    Just took a look at the A and P under the barrel. Not correct for a gun in the 13xxx range. IMO, had a cut barrel that was replaced. Probably cut after it's life in Virginia militia and being resold by Colt. A fairly recent replacement. Also the A on the TG is very strong compared to the wear on the serial #.
    From the amount of remaining metal between sides of frame and TG screw well I'd say buffed but the US DOES look right. (?)
    IMO, it IS an Ainsworth, just enhanced a bit.
    Last edited by Rick; 10-24-2019 at 01:40 PM.
    rcranch, hwjhfs and Revolver like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1866 times
    Thanks for the quick response, the seller states" Some screws have been replaced. The cylinder and straps were refinished at one time and have been cleaned. The ejector shroud was replaced. Grips had been refinished and are shy to metal with no visible cartouche"
    I am worried about the "A" It appears the bottom cross bar at the letter's feet are wrong. thoughts? Probably should have added this pic with the first set.

Attached is the "A" on #7877 and a smoke lift from #7066. BTW, #7877 is believed to have gone straight to Ft. Sam Houston in San Antonio, and was issued to either the 5th or 9th Cavalry.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by victorio1sw; 10-24-2019 at 04:03 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    1866 times
    barrel
    That barrel address is not correct. The "A" in Hartford is broken, but the "o" in "Co." is not. Compare with the attached address on earlier gun, #7877. This #7877 came with a Kopec Gold Seal letter.

I tried to reply "With A Quote" so that both barrels were on one page, but apparently we cannot do that anymore?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by victorio1sw; 10-24-2019 at 04:20 PM.
    Mikebiker likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1068 times
    Both addresses together.

g.jpg
    TopBblAddressSN7877.jpg
    This all started with one gun!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    1880 times
    A thought. I've seen correct itallic addresses whose die breakage seem to have no direct relationship to serial range. I suggest that Colt did not stamp the serial number at manufacture but stockpiled barrels (with address applied) awaiting a order. At that time a barrel would be pulled from stock ( whether it be the first, manufactured in 1873 or one from 1875) and serialized to match the rest of the gun. Therefore a pristine (early manufacture) address could have ended up on a 12xxx gun and vice versa.
    I'd be interested in hearing other opinions.

That said, I still don't believe the subject barrel is original. Maybe Dave Lanara will see this and voice an expert opinion.
    Last edited by Rick; 10-27-2019 at 12:38 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    1068 times
    This is the marking from 6418 an Ainsworth Barrel. The O is clearly broken. Barrels earlier then this most likely were being used rather quickly as Colt was hurrying to fill the US orders for Cavalry units in the field. I doubt a large build up of barrels occurred.

IMG_4753.JPG IMG_4807.JPG
    This all started with one gun!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    3303 times
    Here is a pic of my 1874 Ainsworth and no it won't letter but Kopec has seen it and these marks are legit.
    Real cowboys don't line dance, a Buckaroo won't even watch.

Member #
    Liked
    1880 times
    Address from barrel #2256.F31B838E-6EC3-4C42-8639-A2FDA62B8B4D.jpg
    Barrel looks bent. Just the magnifier lens.
    Hard to see but O and A are broken.
    Last edited by Rick; 10-28-2019 at 05:42 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links