Removable vs integral base pin bushings, Colt Single Action Army revolvers
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Removable vs integral base pin bushings, Colt Single Action Army revolvers

Member #
    Liked
    585 times
    Please educate me. How difficult is it to devise a puller to remove bushing without damage, place a proper size shim in cylinder, and then press the bushing back in. Thanks.

Joe
    dandak likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    680 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe A. View Post
    Please educate me. How difficult is it to devise a puller to remove bushing without damage, place a proper size shim in cylinder, and then press the bushing back in. Thanks.

Joe
    That's a good idea. A non-damaging puller is easily made by someone that knows his way around a lathe and a little engineering. The shim could be placed in the countersunk hole at the front of the cylinder.

Personally I would bore the cylinder out. But it would certainly work fine.

Another idea is to press or pull out the fixed bushing, clamp it in a lathe and use sandpaper to reduce the OD slightly, and one would have a bushing that can be easily taken out and works like the first gen concept.
    Cozmo and Joe A. like this.

Member #
    Liked
    15482 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Prowbar
    ......Another idea is to press or pull out the fixed bushing, clamp it in a lathe and use sandpaper to reduce the OD slightly, and one would have a bushing that can be easily taken out and works like the first gen concept.
    Never thought of or heard that idea prior. If I didn't have better resources that would be a good/easy answer for fixing a loose cylinder. Thanks.
    Joe A. likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    906 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtSAA3G View Post
    Over the past 45 plus years I have owned and extensively shot a fair number of 2nd and 3rd generation SAAs with and without the removable cylinder bushing. All of my shooting has been with smokeless loads and I find no discernible between them. One is as good as the other.
    Exactly, except I can add I also shot a lot of first gen SAAs. This is one thing I have absolutely ZERO concerns about...for me, but obviously not for others, it is a non issue. I mean I dont give one iota concern with it and wonder what I am missing because the issue comes up so often!!! And I have read the threads on this matter!
    Joe A. likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    180 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dandak View Post
    Exactly, except I can add I also shot a lot of first gen SAAs. This is one thing I have absolutely ZERO concerns about...for me, but obviously not for others, it is a non issue. I mean I dont give one iota concern with it and wonder what I am missing because the issue comes up so often!!! And I have read the threads on this matter!
    Speaking for myself, it was a design change along with a lot of other small changes plus the decline in quality that got lumped in together. If you see one with the fixed in bushing, you are prone to look fot other defects.

Right now I have two sedond generation and one 2019 with removable bushing. But if I ran onto a killer deal on one with fixed bushing and was otherwise in great shape, I'd buy it. I'm a shooter, not a collector.
    Joe A. likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    585 times
    Thanks for the replies. I've never heard much talk about that but I still wondered why not. I no longer own a Colt with the pressed in bushing but I remember one in the past that had a fair amount of end shake. If I ever come across one sometime with end shake, I have a friend who's a retired high precision machinist that building a puller and doing the work wouldn't be much of a challenge for him. He doesn't do this as often now, but he used to build himself a rifle around a new cartridge every month, all the way from the various 22 centerfires up to a 458 WM. He even built a 375 Remington Ultra Mag and was shooting before it ever came on the market. He was able to get the chamber specs and made his own reamer. A commercial reloader friend of ours was able to get 20 pieces of brass. And all of the rifles he has built has been tack drivers but as ugly as home made sin. Little or no finish work and whatever stock he can get to work. He's only interested in accuracy.

Joe
    Prowbar likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    I must agree with Cosmo, I like the removable bushing but then I'm a black powder shooter and it really makes a difference in the number of rounds you can shoot before the gun starts to gum up and become difficult to cock. I'm sure the original design was because of black powder fouling gumming up the works. I did mechanical design for 30 years in industry and taught it for 20 years in college so I understand what's going on here. One of my main match guns is an early 3rd and the other is a 2nd from 1961. Many times I've noticed that 3rd gen start getting hard to cock while the other was just fine. I developed the habit of spritzing both guns with Ballistol between stages and never noticed it again.
    Cozmo and Joe A. like this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links