• 1 Post By SHOOTER13
  • 1 Post By SFC Rick
  • 5 Post By SFC Rick

Thread: What to do about trigger pull.

Member #
    Liked
    889 times

What to do about trigger pull.

This 1905 Colt Peacemaker has a pretty heavy trigger pull. What should be done to it to lighten it up?
    Uberti Open Top 1872 model in .45Colt with 7 1/2" barrel, Colt M1945A1, Winchester 1873 & 94.

Member #
    Colorado in the summer and Arizona in the winter
    Liked
    470 times
    Get it to competent SAA smith. Jim Martin, a regular contributor here, is as good as they get.

Member #
    Liked
    365 times

What to do about trigger pull.

Might start be just replacing the original mainspring. They were designed pretty stiff to ensure proper ignition of the older primers. Plenty of aftermarket to choose from. If that doesn’t do the trick then see above post.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2229 times
    Jim Martin does the best trigger job I have ever felt in my many years of shooting. Plus you get to talk to a wonderful man that is knowledgeable and very humorous.

Member #
    Liked
    889 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowndog View Post
    Might start be just replacing the original mainspring. They were designed pretty stiff to ensure proper ignition of the older primers. Plenty of aftermarket to choose from. If that doesn’t do the trick then see above post.

That sounds like a great idea, first try the simplest and easy steps before going to more troublesome repairs.
    SHOOTER13 and lounick like this.
    Uberti Open Top 1872 model in .45Colt with 7 1/2" barrel, Colt M1945A1, Winchester 1873 & 94.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1733 times
    As stated above a competent smith trigger job is the best way to go.

If you insist on tinkering, as I have, I suggest you purchase a new main spring, replace the original, and test the trigger pull. If still too heavy, remove the new spring and polish both top and bottom of spring to mirror finish, replace spring and test pull, it should lighter. if still too heavy, file or stone sides of spring equally in stages, replacing spring and testing pull weight. I was suprised how much this technique can lighten the pull within limits - too much will affect ignition.

If after this main spring polishing and reduction the pull is still too heavy and/or the hammer release is still too rough, you can try lightly polishing the hammer and trigger sides, lock up contact points and frame contact points with a hard arkansas stone. Careful to polish only by removing only high points. 1 to 3 passes of the stone preserving all angles. Confirm amount of polish after each pass through a magnifying glass. Less than total polish indicates no base metal removal which is what is wanted.

Then coat each surface with a black marker, reassemble and the test the pull at least 20 times.

Disassemble and check black markings. Repeat above only on those surfaces where marking has been disturbed until no more wear seen on each marked point.

If still dissatisfied with the trigger pull the contact angles and surface contact points of the firing system will need to be addressed which will require irreversible metal removal on expensive parts. This is best best left to a competent smith.
    lounick likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    11389 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SFC Rick View Post
    That sounds like a great idea, first try the simplest and easy steps before going to more troublesome repairs.
    Bingo...!!

lounick likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NRA Life Member since 1977...

Member #
    Liked
    889 times
    Fortunately I have many mainsprings to try out. I have NO gunsmith's nearby...at least none with SAA tuning experience I would hand over my 114 year old SAA to. Anyway. thanks for all the replies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    lounick likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    The best way to ruin a SAA is to mess with the trigger pull. Some gauges, a stoning fixture, and a whole lot of experience is all you need. Ask me how I know.

Member #
    Liked
    889 times
    Fixed it, easy to do. Installed a lighter mainspring and it's much better. Functions like all my other SAA's. That heavy duty mainspring was probably installed by a Caifornia OSHA Representative. LOL, it was as heavy as one of my old truck leaf springs.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links