SAA Expert Advise Needed--S/N 149461 Frame...159461 Grip Frame?????
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: SAA Expert Advise Needed--S/N 149461 Frame...159461 Grip Frame?????

Member #
    Liked
    31 times

SAA Expert Advise Needed--S/N 149461 Frame...159461 Grip Frame?????

Hello folks, I have the opportunity to buy this SAA (I will include as many pictures as I can). It looks like a solid gun, but the frame serial number and grip frame numbers are exactly one digit off. The frame serial number is 149461, but the grip frame and all other numbers are 159,461. I find it hard to believe someone found a grip frame that is exactly one digit off. To me, the overall condition of each part match and it looks like each part has "worn" with the rest of the gun. It is chambered in 38-40, and the barrel has strong lands and grooves with a bit of pitting here and there. I would say the barrel is in 75 percent condition.

Has anyone seen a similar Colt? Would Colt send out a gun with this mistake, or did someone win the lottery and find a near matching grip frame and attach it to the receiver? Here are a couple of other questions I have:

The barrel is 4 3/4 inch. Does the barrel muzzle contour look correct? Is this cut down, or do you think it is factory?

The loading gate number is 534.......is this heat number correct, or should it be matching?

The cylinder does not have the serial number on the face. Are there any markings I should be looking for?

Is there anything that looks off or not correct that I should be aware of?

What do you think would be a real world value?

The owner of my LGS let me take this home tonight and do some research. Pretty much...your opinions and thoughts will help guide me to or away from this purchase. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated. My computer is slow, so I have to upload pictures one at a time. If you folks need any more pictures, I would love to upload them.

Thanks everyone........I will put a couple of pictures here, and then add them as my computer allows
    IMG_0578.jpgIMG_0579.jpgIMG_0576.jpgIMG_0577.jpgIMG_0580.jpg
    Last edited by birch; 10-28-2019 at 06:11 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Last edited by birch; 10-28-2019 at 06:31 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3381 times
    I would think the TG and BS numbers are just an error by a factory workman. Hard to think someone found a Triggerguard and BackStrap exactly 10000 numbers off and put those on the gun.
    Last edited by coltsixguns; 10-29-2019 at 07:04 AM.
    Rick, chad45, JohnnyP and 2 others like this.
    Always interested in adding nice, original or interesting pre 1940 single actions to my private collection. Contact me via PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9510 times
    2 line address, so bbl is original 4 3/4. Loading gate # is an assembly number which should match the same number on the bottom of frame. I don't think cylinder should be numbered in this range. I'm guessing factory mis-number.
    Rick, victorio1sw and usgi1911A1 like this.
    'This is King Fisher's Road--Take the other one'

Member #
    Liked
    224 times
    Nice looking Colt. I would venture to guess, looking at the rest of the numbers, that whatever workman was applying the number to the frame grabbed a 4 instead of a 5 when stamping. Be interesting which number letters to match it.
    Rick and usgi1911A1 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    75 times
    Looks real nice to me. The two line address on the top of the barrel was used on 4 3/4 inch barrels.

I wonder what the Colt historian would charge? My guess is that the frame number is correct. A difference of 10,000 might be enough for a real expert to make a determination.

Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    I was really worried about that barrel length. I read somewhere that there were 4 3/4 inch barrels and then another source told me that it was not original and likely a rebarrel. Any guess as to a value? I am hoping for a real world estimate. What would you folks be comfortable paying for this piece?

Oh...a couple of more questions. It looks like there is some case color inside the yolk. Do you think this is a factory blue frame or would it have been case colored?

Member #
    Liked
    1499 times
    Don't worry about the numbers, factory error. $2200 retail, more if it was 44 or 45.
    Rick and highway08 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    158 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Pthfndr985 View Post
    Nice looking Colt. I would venture to guess, looking at the rest of the numbers, that whatever workman was applying the number to the frame grabbed a 4 instead of a 5 when stamping. Be interesting which number letters to match it.
    I agree. Other than the 4/5 all of the other numbers look identical right down to the slant. But, if you find Wyatt Earp owned 149461 and nobody important owned 159461, I'd go with the opposite story.

Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Hmmm......LGS wants 3000 for it. Too high?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links