HOw to ship a rifle or pistal back to factory for repairs?
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Agarbers
  • 2 Post By dfariswheel

Thread: HOw to ship a rifle or pistal back to factory for repairs?

Member #
    Liked
    26 times

HOw to ship a rifle or pistal back to factory for repairs?

How to ship a Gun back to factory for repairs? I haven't done this years. Uberti says to use UPS and label machine parts, and insure it for what paid. The shipping form IL to Maryland is $65.00, carbine, a surcharge since the package s over 48" long, some UPS stores will not take it. Those of you that returned your Colt SAA how did you ship to the factory?
    Last edited by saber19; 10-30-2019 at 07:08 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    175 times
    The one and only time that I shipped a gun back for repairs, Taylor's and Company sent me a PDF of a UPS shipping label. Printed it off, packaged it per instructions and dropped it off at a UPS desk at Staples. It came directly back to me by UPS.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    The gunshop that I bought a rifle from sent me a UPS label in pdf format to print out. They specifically said do not mention gun shop or anything related to guns on the exterior of the box. I was given a person's name to ship it to. If it's warranty, I would ask for a label to be sent. If not, pucker up and expect high shipping costs. I was able to take it to our local Ace hardware whom is also a UPS shipper and they didn't even bat an eye when I said it had a firearm in it.
    jringo8769 and superdave269 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    683 times
    A FFL could save you some money. It cost me nearly $100 to ship a handgun to El Paso via UPS. A FFL can ship same for ~$25 via USPS.
    Shipping to factory for warranty work should have postage paid.
    Vic
    Preparedness + Opportunity = Luck
    NRA Benefactor Member
    KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

Member #
    Liked
    257 times
    Shipping a rifle or shotgun can be done via USPS as long as it is going to an FFL or to yourself, but not a handgun. For a handgun FedEx or UPS are your only options. A handgun shipped via USPS can only go from one FFL to another FFL with Postal Form #1508 "Statement By Shipper of Firearms" which confirms the gun is being shipped to an FFL dealer.

Member #
    Liked
    1944 times
    I have gotten to the point of using an FFL when shipping any serial numbered part. For me it is usually cheaper, faster and fewer headaches.
    FedEx is expensive and the hub is across town.
    UPS hub is across town and they have been a PITA in the past.
    USPS counter clerks want to argue and the postmaster is rarely available (hiding?)
    "Cowards never lasted long enough to become real
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ." --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life Member: NRA, TSRA, NMSSA
    Action Pistol Director-TSRA

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    8060 times
    I strongly recommend NOT telling the shipper the box contains "machine parts" or anything other then that it's a firearm.
    If it's a non-serial numbered part, then you can label it as parts, but if it's the actual serial numbered part....DON'T LIE.

When you sign the shipping document you're signing a legal contract with the shipper.
    If you lie about the contents you're breaking the contract and defrauding the shipper.
    If the gun is lost, stolen, or damaged they will NOT honor any insurance because you lied to them. You will get nothing.

You can ship a rifle or shotgun by US Mail, UPS, or Fed-Ex to an FFL.
    Only an FFL can mail a pistol via US Mail.

I had to do a lot of shipping. The following should still be valid.
    Pointers......
    Never put anything on the box that indicates it contains a gun. In fact, it's against Federal law to put such data on a gun shipped US Mail.
    For the shipping label use the companies initials, or a name that doesn't sound like "Joe's Gun Shop". Colt gives instruction on the address to use for them.

Don't pack the gun in an obviously gun box, unless you can't get big enough boxes.
    First you may not get it back, and second it tells people that it's a gun and get it stolen.
    If you can find a long cardboard box for a long gun, you can buy a cheap long gun plastic gun case at Walmart and most gun stores. If possible ask them for an outer cardboard sleeve to put around it.
    Don't just put the gun in the case, use packing materials to pad and brace the gun so it can't shift and touch the case.
    These cases are not that strong and many guns have arrived with damage after the gun moved in the case and touches a edge or corner.

Pack a gun in such a way that it cannot come in contact with the box. Wrap it in bubble wrap or other shipping packing, and if possible use an inner and an outer box.
    You want to suspend the gun inside the box so the gun can't shift and contact the outer box.
    This will help prevent damage to the gun.
    Tape is CHEAP.... don't be shy about using it.
    Pack the box like King Kong and Godzilla are going to be playing soccer with it.

You usually need to use a UPS or Fed-Ex depot to ship. UPS Stores will NOT ship guns, knives, or other such items.

When shipping be prepared for the counter person to know nothing about shipping guns. Some may claim it's illegal to ship unless you have an FFL, or that it's not legal to ship a gun at all.
    The correct response is to ask to talk to a supervisor. Continue up the chain until you get to a person who knows their job, and knows about shipping guns.
    I've had cases where the depot had to call a regional office to get the facts about shipping guns.

Buy enough insurance that you can replace the gun at current values if it's lost or damaged.

Write a SHORT letter explaining what the problem with the gun is or what you want done to it.
    Keep it SHORT, no one cares about your last shooting trip or hunt with it.
    The gunsmith doesn't have time to read a long letter.
    Number the key parts of the problems or what work you want.
    This separates out the important info and the gunsmith can't miss anything.
    As example...
    1. Gun is missing a part or a part is damaged.
    2. Gun jams or is inaccurate.
    3. Needs to be refinished.

Put on the letter head your full contact info including name, address, phone numbers, and email.
    Put the full shipping address of who it's going to on the letter. If the outer label is lost or damaged the shipper can get it off the inner letter.
    Put the letter in a plastic bag and put it WITH the gun. If possible, tape it AROUND the gun so it can't get lost during unpacking.

Be honest with the shipper about what's in the box.....Again DON'T LIE.
    buzzsawone and superdave269 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    489 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dfariswheel View Post
    I strongly recommend NOT telling the shipper the box contains "machine parts" or anything other then that it's a firearm.
    If it's a non-serial numbered part, then you can label it as parts, but if it's the actual serial numbered part....DON'T LIE.

When you sign the shipping document you're signing a legal contract with the shipper.
    If you lie about the contents you're breaking the contract and defrauding the shipper.
    If the gun is lost, stolen, or damaged they will NOT honor any insurance because you lied to them. You will get nothing.

You can ship a rifle or shotgun by US Mail, UPS, or Fed-Ex to an FFL.
    Only an FFL can mail a pistol via US Mail.

I had to do a lot of shipping. The following should still be valid.
    Pointers......
    Never put anything on the box that indicates it contains a gun. In fact, it's against Federal law to put such data on a gun shipped US Mail.
    For the shipping label use the companies initials, or a name that doesn't sound like "Joe's Gun Shop". Colt gives instruction on the address to use for them.

Don't pack the gun in an obviously gun box, unless you can't get big enough boxes.
    First you may not get it back, and second it tells people that it's a gun and get it stolen.
    If you can find a long cardboard box for a long gun, you can buy a cheap long gun plastic gun case at Walmart and most gun stores. If possible ask them for an outer cardboard sleeve to put around it.
    Don't just put the gun in the case, use packing materials to pad and brace the gun so it can't shift and touch the case.
    These cases are not that strong and many guns have arrived with damage after the gun moved in the case and touches a edge or corner.

Pack a gun in such a way that it cannot come in contact with the box. Wrap it in bubble wrap or other shipping packing, and if possible use an inner and an outer box.
    You want to suspend the gun inside the box so the gun can't shift and contact the outer box.
    This will help prevent damage to the gun.
    Tape is CHEAP.... don't be shy about using it.
    Pack the box like King Kong and Godzilla are going to be playing soccer with it.

You usually need to use a UPS or Fed-Ex depot to ship. UPS Stores will NOT ship guns, knives, or other such items.

When shipping be prepared for the counter person to know nothing about shipping guns. Some may claim it's illegal to ship unless you have an FFL, or that it's not legal to ship a gun at all.
    The correct response is to ask to talk to a supervisor. Continue up the chain until you get to a person who knows their job, and knows about shipping guns.
    I've had cases where the depot had to call a regional office to get the facts about shipping guns.

Buy enough insurance that you can replace the gun at current values if it's lost or damaged.

Write a SHORT letter explaining what the problem with the gun is or what you want done to it.
    Keep it SHORT, no one cares about your last shooting trip or hunt with it.
    The gunsmith doesn't have time to read a long letter.
    Number the key parts of the problems or what work you want.
    This separates out the important info and the gunsmith can't miss anything.
    As example...
    1. Gun is missing a part or a part is damaged.
    2. Gun jams or is inaccurate.
    3. Needs to be refinished.

Put on the letter head your full contact info including name, address, phone numbers, and email.
    Put the full shipping address of who it's going to on the letter. If the outer label is lost or damaged the shipper can get it off the inner letter.
    Put the letter in a plastic bag and put it WITH the gun. If possible, tape it AROUND the gun so it can't get lost during unpacking.

Be honest with the shipper about what's in the box.....Again DON'T LIE.
    Totally agree with dfariswheel, don't lie, it may catch up with you if you to file a claim! I also strongly suggest staying away fro UPS I have yet to be able to collect an insurance claim one was for a very expensive flintlock shipped to Germany! I have had by far better service from USPS but if a pistol it ca not ship unless between FFL's but for a rifle for repair I would use their Priority Mail or if really concerned use registered mail.
    Good luck,
    tdennis

Member #
    Liked
    353 times
    Long guns can ship USPS cheaply. Handguns cannot.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links