A couple of SAA's followed me home yesterday...thank you Jim Martin for your time.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: A couple of SAA's followed me home yesterday...thank you Jim Martin for your time.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I know y’all like pics...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    15427 times
    Nice. No question they are ivory. No need for a test on those. One of your first photos tells it all. Nice carving and fit as well. Some one knew what they were doing on them. And worth a few bucks just by themselves. And a GREAT transitional Colt, in the best of the big bore cartridge IMO. 1896 BP production?! Congrads!

I bet Jim would have like to have snagged that one
    Last edited by Cozmo; 11-04-2019 at 06:19 PM.
    ersiii, MarkInTx and jeepnut711 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cozmo View Post
    Nice. No question they are ivory. Nice carving as well.
    Thank you sir. That means a lot coming from you. I have seen some of your collection in this forum.
    Cozmo likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I hope I have not confused anyone. I brought home 2 guns. One was a 1967 nickel 2nd gen 5 1/2" .357 with one piece ivory grips.
    The other gun was a 1st gen FRONTIER SIX SHOOTER 4 3/4" BLUE with one piece walnut grips.
    I like them both.
    jeepnut711 likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1773 times
    Nice carved Ivory stocks on that 2nd Generation.
    ersiii likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Colt75 View Post
    Nice carved Ivory stocks on that 2nd Generation.
    Thank you sir. it's the first pair I have ever owned...my wife thinks I have gone crazy the way I just keep looking at them.
    cloverleaf and superdave269 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    5937 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cozmo View Post
    Nice. No question they are ivory. No need for a test on those. One of your first photos tells it all. Nice carving and fit as well. Some one knew what they were doing on them. And worth a few bucks just by themselves. And a GREAT transitional Colt, in the best of the big bore cartridge IMO. 1896 BP production?! Congrads!

I bet Jim would have like to have snagged that one
    You got that right.
    ersiii, MarkInTx, Cozmo and 2 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Martin View Post
    You got that right.
    Well Jim you have first dibs on the Frontier Six Shooter for sure...at a discount.
    Cozmo, Jim Martin, Ugly and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    118 times
    my wife thinks I have gone crazy the way I just keep looking at them.
    Boy does that sound familiar. I also suffer from Colt SAA-itist... (Wife has spenditist so we are even)

Congrats on a wonderful pair of Colts. I would love to own either / both of them. I love 2nd gen shooters and am still looking for a nice set of Ivories..
    ersiii likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Quote Originally Posted by superdave269 View Post
    Boy does that sound familiar. I also suffer from Colt SAA-itist... (Wife has spenditist so we are even)

Congrats on a wonderful pair of Colts. I would love to own either / both of them. I love 2nd gen shooters and am still looking for a nice set of Ivories..
    Since you share the disease then I know you have experienced the letdown and disappointment that happens when you go look at a gun that is advertised as "Original"...only to find out it is not. Especially the first generation guns. Especially when you take them home and don't get the bad news till the letter comes. I have looked at so many guns with brush marks from heavy cleaning and mismatched parts it is scary. I actually quit looking at 1st gens since it seems that faking them is a real cottage industry around here and they are very good at it. Straw that broke the camels back for me was a fake pinch frame with Kopec and Colt letters, both faked also... I just lost interest in 1st gen collectibles and focused on shooters.

So it was a pleasant change to find a very reasonabley-priced 2nd gen shooter. Since the seller did not mention the stocks I assumed they were imitation. They are one piece carved ivories! I had asked seller if they had any other SAA's for sale and was told about a 1st gen that was not in as nice of condition as the 2nd. Bring it anyway I said.
    Turns about to be an 1896 Frontier Six Shooter...that letters. With a horizontal latch. The prices for SAA's in Georgia have gone way down...there seems to actually be a few deals to be had now. But the fakes are still everywhere.

My old football coach used to say this when I made a tackle or interception "I guess groundhog finds a acorn sometimes"...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links