Colt Forum banner

Damaged SAA Frame Repair...

2K views 18 replies 18 participants last post by  Colt75 
#1 · (Edited)
This might be the most aggressive I’ve done on a SAA only because ruining this-means buying the customer a new gun.

A wonderful, repeat customer had a 1983 built SAA whereas the loading gate screw hole in the bottom of the frame was too close to the outside, then when it was tapped the spiral from the threads almost pierced the surface. Colt determined it was “only cosmetic” and offered no warranty work - since it would need replaced.

So after consulting with my customer we decided to make it look fresh.

I cut out the offending portion and re-welded the area...twice. Flat file, sanding, re-tapping the LG hole, annealing and finally case color hardening.

It was a neat project and it’s even wearing a new barrel and cylinder.
Going home.

Attachments

See less See more
#19 ·
THANKS Bill!! The Colt SAA under discussion arrived back home late last week, Bill did his usual outstanding job. This SAA never looked this good new. I will try to get The Boss to post some pictures when she has time. I am too technologically inept. I have sent 6 SAAs to Bill to have work done. Some required major work and others relatively minor work. In each case the work was done in a professional and timely manner. The costs were quite reasonable. Thanks again Bill.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.