Hartford Colt SAA -- Educate Me.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Hartford Colt SAA -- Educate Me.

Member #
    Liked
    158 times

Hartford Colt SAA -- Educate Me.

What's this? Things don't look right.

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item...model-revolver

It appears to be a EMF reproduction but the serial number is very much like a real Colt SAA.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    23131 times
    The SN is not "Colt-like." Colt never put the SA above the serial number.
    bighipiron likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1776 times
    It is an EMF marketed copy of the Colt SAA. This one was made by in italy by Armi Sam Marco. Don't know anything about the quality.
    Tomray likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1913 times
    Look at the BM stamped next to the patent dates and the proof stamps on the cylinder. The grip RAC is an obvious fake and the US stamp is poorly done. About the only thing I see that equates to a Colt SAA is that they both are chambered in .45 Colt.
    If you're interested in genuine Colt SAAs start with a book purchase.
    Colt75 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    12662 times
    Colt SAA parts fit this gun and the barrel threads are the same as a 1st and 2nd generation. At least for me and other people I've known. I can't say if all Hartford Models had that ability. Fit and finish is usually excellent, but the heat treating of the hammer, triggers, and probably other internal parts are horrible. If one of these can be bought REAL cheap or if someone is stuck with one, replacing the hammer and trigger with Colt parts could make it a pretty nice gun.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    146 times
    The description in the add says Colt SAA "Style" and when you read further they admit its an Italian copy.
    -Mike

“I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining people who think the world owes them a living.”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    1314 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt Burp View Post
    Colt SAA parts fit this gun and the barrel threads are the same as a 1st and 2nd generation. At least for me and other people I've known. I can't say if all Hartford Models had that ability. Fit and finish is usually excellent, but the heat treating of the hammer, triggers, and probably other internal parts are horrible. If one of these can be bought REAL cheap or if someone is stuck with one, replacing the hammer and trigger with Colt parts could make it a pretty nice gun.

I agree with Wyatt's assessment, though in my case I haven't found the Hartford's I have come across to be any worse in the parts than any other major clone. Colt parts do fit, though. I have also come across quite a few ASM guns and most were really bad. Somehow the Hartford's are always really good. Worth looking into if you can get them pretty cheap. I just remembered a conversation I had with Jim Martin regarding how in the early days the Italian companies would do the heat treating of the parts on giant trays all at once, and if you ever cooked in an oven, you know that heat transfers to different places differently. So that could be why I haven't had problems with the internals of the ones I have had and Wyatt has. Just luck of the draw which parts came from which side of the tray.

Member #
    Liked
    12662 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MikenAZ View Post
    The description in the add says Colt SAA "Style" and when you read further they admit its an Italian copy.
    Hey, Mike. I just noticed your avatar is the post card I have in my living room. Did you find it somewhere else or got it from me posting it before? It's a great picture and an even better avatar.
    bighipiron, I've had two Hartford single action .45s and one ASM Dragoon. They all had parts heat treated over a candle it seemed. But Jim Martin told me the same thing when I talked to him about it. Those three ASM guns were excellent otherwise.Glad to see you lucked on on yours.

Member #
    Liked
    158 times
    Quote Originally Posted by saintclair View Post
    The SN is not "Colt-like." Colt never put the SA above the serial number.
    I understand that but if someone were to look the number up that hadn't seen a real Colt SAA I can easily see them thinking it was the real thing.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    146 times
    Hey Wyatt.. I've had that pic in my files for about ten years now. I don't recall where I found it. It's a good one! Thanks for commenting.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt Burp View Post
    Hey, Mike. I just noticed your avatar is the post card I have in my living room. Did you find it somewhere else or got it from me posting it before? It's a great picture and an even better avatar.
    bighipiron, I've had two Hartford single action .45s and one ASM Dragoon. They all had parts heat treated over a candle it seemed. But Jim Martin told me the same thing when I talked to him about it. Those three ASM guns were excellent otherwise.Glad to see you lucked on on yours.
    -Mike

“I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining people who think the world owes them a living.”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links