Does anyone know or is familar with ?
Like Tree20Likes
  • 8 Post By coltsixguns
  • 7 Post By coltsixguns
  • 1 Post By coltsixguns
  • 2 Post By victorio1sw
  • 1 Post By coltsixguns
  • 1 Post By 1988RRC

Thread: Does anyone know or is familar with ?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3369 times

Does anyone know or is familar with ?

Bought a factory engraved single action the other day and the factory letter was made out to a Mr. James Wells of Montrose, Colorado in 1973 and it also had the name of a Bill McKay of Grand Junction, Colorado. I believe Mr. Wells has passed on from what I can find on the internet but I am wondering if any of our members might know or have known either one of these gentlemen? There is a non colt notation on the factory letter that I am following up on and it would be nice if I could get more of the story.

1.jpg
    Always interested in adding nice, original or interesting pre 1940 single actions to my private collection. Contact me via PM.

Member #
    Liked
    1862 times
    A birthday present for yourself?

Member #
    Liked
    15501 times
    Oooooo that's nice, perhaps Helfricht? Was the letter ordered by someone in1973 but the letter shows shipped to or ordered by the other guy?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NRA Endowment Life Member
    CCA Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3369 times
    Yes standard Helfricht style shop pattern about B coverage for the time period I would say. 3 gun shipment to Chicago in oct 1898. The 1973 factory letter was addressed to James Wells of Montrose, Colorado but I’m guessing that he added the printed note about the gun coming from Bill McKay that I found out yesterday was a old time gun dealer who used to set up at Denver years back.
    The printed addition to the factory letter says the gun was owned by Doc Shores that after doing a quick google and a little newspaper search yielded that he was a very well known Western Colorado lawman that had worked as sheriff and deputy US Marshall and railroad dectective and short time police chief of Salt Lake City Utah. He rubbed shoulders with Charles Siringo and Tom Horn and a bunch of western characters.
    Since everyone who is connected with the colt is passed I’m trying to figure out what proof there is that the gun was owned by Shores. I have noticed that Shore’s middle name was Wells which was the same last name as James Wells and that both of them were born in Michigan.
    It is said that Shores along with several brothers and sisters moved into Colorado in the 1870s and it could be that James Wells was a relative that was born years later and moved into the same Montrose/Gunnison area as Cyrus Wells “Doc” Shores lived.
    Always interested in adding nice, original or interesting pre 1940 single actions to my private collection. Contact me via PM.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by coltsixguns View Post
    Yes standard Helfricht style shop pattern about B coverage for the time period I would say. 3 gun shipment to Chicago in oct 1898. The 1973 factory letter was addressed to James Wells of Montrose, Colorado but I’m guessing that he added the printed note about the gun coming from Bill McKay that I found out yesterday was a old time gun dealer who used to set up at Denver years back.
    The printed addition to the factory letter says the gun was owned by Doc Shores that after doing a quick google and a little newspaper search yielded that he was a very well known Western Colorado lawman that had worked as sheriff and deputy US Marshall and railroad dectective and short time police chief of Salt Lake City Utah. He rubbed shoulders with Charles Siringo and Tom Horn and a bunch of western characters.
    Since everyone who is connected with the colt is passed I’m trying to figure out what proof there is that the gun was owned by Shores. I have noticed that Shore’s middle name was Wells which was the same last name as James Wells and that both of them were born in Michigan.
    It is said that Shores along with several brothers and sisters moved into Colorado in the 1870s and it could be that James Wells was a relative that was born years later and moved into the same Montrose/Gunnison area as Cyrus Wells “Doc” Shores lived.
    +1

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3369 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    A birthday present for yourself? ��
    just something I found interesting!
    Last edited by coltsixguns; 11-10-2019 at 09:18 AM.
    Rick likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1827 times
    Quote Originally Posted by coltsixguns View Post
    With it being almost 47 years later than the 1973 date on that factory letter (with info about Doc Shores added to it), it is probably too late to get a notarized statement tying this Colt SAA by serial number to one Doc Shores. This is a problem faced by many of us with guns that "may have belonged to" some historically significant person of the past. With a whole lot of luck, something may still be found that positively makes the desired connection.
    LEO918 and Kerz like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3369 times
    Quote Originally Posted by victorio1sw View Post
    With it being almost 47 years later than the 1973 date on that factory letter (with info about Doc Shores added to it), it is probably too late to get a notarized statement tying this Colt SAA by serial number to one Doc Shores. This is a problem faced by many of us with guns that "may have belonged to" some historically significant person of the past. With a whole lot of luck, something may still be found that positively makes the desired connection.
    I bought the gun as a factory engraved gun without knowing any possible connection with Shores until I saw the copy of the factory letter included with the gun and if I can connect any dots that will be nice. I'll dig in and see what I can come up with in the winter month evenings when I have time to research what information is out there. I'll have a book with information on Shores by day after tomorrow and maybe it might speak to the arms that Mr. Shores used during his career. The library at Denver apparently has several boxes of official and personal correspondence that Mr. Shores penned. And you are right....sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.
    ersiii likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    175 times
    Nice birthday present! Happy late birthday.
    coltsixguns likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links