2nd Gen New Frontier
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: 2nd Gen New Frontier

Member #
    Liked
    561 times

2nd Gen New Frontier

I'm interested in hearing some perspectives on where the 2 gen new frontier falls in the single action Colt collector world. Less than an SAA I am sure, but I really like the better sights. ( or is the New Frontier a true SAA just with target sights?) It would be a 45 shooter for me. They go for far more than the DA revolvers out my way thats for sure, or even a Trooper. I prefer the New Frontier myself. Thoughts?
    (Why i would even consider buying a gun with Trudeau back in power is beyond me)
    Last edited by Brassmonkey; 11-08-2019 at 03:21 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    They certainly aren't nearly as popular and don't demand the same prices.I for one think that they are a beautiful firearm, and if I were limited to having only 1 single action it would be a New Frontier 5 1/2", probably with some nicer grips.
    Brassmonkey, Tomray and Jackson like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2685 times
    Is the New Frontier a true SAA just with target sights? In my opinion yes it is.

Why I would even consider buying a gun with Trudeau back in power is beyond me. You have our sympathy.

I've always looked at the New Frontier as a way for Colt to horn in on Rugers market share. Yeah, I know that they presented it as a tribute to JFK's world vision but does anyone really think that was anything more than a marketing tool? I really wish that Colt had brought back their original Target SAA, a much classier looking gun in my opinion. That being said there are people that love the New Frontier for their sights and because you can get them for less than a SAA in similar condition.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    16760 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Brassmonkey View Post
    I'm interested in hearing some perspectives on where the 2 gen new frontier falls in the single action Colt collector world. Less than an SAA I am sure, but I really like the better sights. ( or is the New Frontier a true SAA just with target sights?) It would be a 45 shooter for me. They go for far more than the DA revolvers out my way thats for sure, or even a Trooper. I prefer the New Frontier myself. Thoughts?
    (Why i would even consider buying a gun with Trudeau back in power is beyond me)
    You are correct that a New Frontier IS actually a SAA, as the barrel rollmark indicates, but because it just doesn’t look “old west” ...it’s not thought of that way at all. NF’s are usually hundreds less than the standard SAA, but the prices have gone up hundreds more than they were just a few years ago also. Colt doesn’t currently make as many NF’s as SAA’s, and both sell, but the SAA always sells faster.
    The “target SAA” is much cooler looking to me too, but the New Frontier is equipped to be the most accurate with the better sights, little longer sight radius, and more easily adjusted rear sight.

🔫 WWYS

Member #
    Liked
    561 times
    Thanks so much gents. Much appreciated. I really quite enjoy the blended look of the better sights and flat top.

MAYBE revolvers will fall under the radar of the "scary black military style guns" crowd in government. They arent high capacity or semi auto or assault or all bogey wogey man.
    Tomray and SHOOTER13 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2685 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Brassmonkey View Post

MAYBE revolvers will fall under the radar of the "scary black military style guns" crowd in government.
    I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. There was a time in the not too distant past when the DS, Cobra, Agent, etc. were considered Saturday Night Specials. They've just found a new boogey man that's all.
    Brassmonkey and Ugly like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1813 times
    There were less then 4500 2nd Generation New Frontiers made in total. These were made with C/C and Colt Royal Blue finish. They were ,made in 4 barrel lengths and 4 calibers -- the calibers were .45 Colt, .38 Special, 44 Special, and .357 Magnum. The most common 2nd Generation New Frontier were the .357s. Some of the .44 Special and .38 Special variations had quite low production numbers. There were only 72 of the 12" barreled New Frontier Buntline models made. All the 2nd Generation New Frontier I have seen were very well fitted and finished. Collectors do seem to overlook the 2nd Generation New Frontiers thus giving the shooters a chance at a great Colt revolver.

Member #
    Liked
    561 times
    Yes a NIB Colt SAA for $1450 US is a good deal in my neck of the woods. 45 LC and 7.5 barrel? I am weakening.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    516 times
    I just picked up a Colt New Frontier SAA in .45 Colt with a 4 5/8 barrel. It also came with a .45 acp cylinder. It is a Second Generation I believe. Serial # 7151NF - it also has Colt Factory Stag grips. I was wondering if you knew the production numbers of this barrel length and dual cylinder configuration? When I can I'll take some pictures.
    jringo8769 and SHOOTER13 like this.
    This is America - You don't redistribute wealth. You earn it !! " Shoot em in the right eye - it spoils their aim!"
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    NRA Whittington Center Life Member
    Life Member NAHC

Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    So, your the one, I spotted that one early one morning , went back to take a second look and you beat me to it. I'm glad that you got it.
    broknaxl and saintclair like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links