Colt Etched Panel 44CF/44RF - Letter Notification
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Colt Etched Panel 44CF/44RF - Letter Notification

Member #
    Liked
    247 times

Colt Etched Panel 44CF/44RF - Letter Notification

Traded for an interesting Colt Etched Panel at Tulsa this weekend. Someone here may know the gun because the gentleman said he bought it at the CCA show. I'll get a letter ordered this week.

What I think I know. :-)
    1.The hammer and frame were probably modified by an old time gunsmith to fire 44-40 center fire and 44 rim fire.
    2. The cylinder is unmarked except with a P. My guess is it's a possible replacement but?? The patina matches perfectly with the frame and been told they didn't mark some civilian models.
    3. It came with one piece wood grips but does have original double eagle grips on it. "No pin hole in grip frame.
    4. All numbers matching. #95445
    5. Assembly numbers match on loading gate and frame. No assembly numbers on grip frames.
    6. The acid etched panel is original.
    7. Hint of light mottles case colors on frame and more vivid under the loading gate.
    8. Correct 3 line patent date, correct address on barrel, correct 44 CF on trigger guard and 44 marked on the bottom of barrel in front of cylinder pin.

Would appreciate any 'good or bad' insight or opinions you guys might be willing to share about the gun.

Thanks!!

IMG_0270.jpgIMG_0269.jpgIMG_0262.jpg
    IMG_0260.jpgIMG_0268.jpg
    Last edited by xitnet; 11-18-2019 at 05:37 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    247 times

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Have you lettered the gun?
    Chaffee and victorio1sw like this.
    sumthin_nu

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1922 times
    Quote Originally Posted by xitnet View Post
    Traded for an interesting Colt Etched Panel at Tulsa this weekend. Someone here may know the gun because the gentleman said he bought it at the CCA show. I'll get a letter ordered this week.

What I think I know. :-)
    1.The hammer and frame were probably modified by an old time gunsmith to fire 44-40 center fire and 44 rim fire.
    2. The cylinder is unmarked except with a P. My guess is it's a possible replacement but?? The patina matches perfectly with the frame and been told they didn't mark some civilian models.
    3. It came with one piece wood grips but does have original double eagle grips on it. "No pin hole in grip frame.
    4. All numbers matching. #95445
    5. Assembly numbers match on loading gate and frame. No assembly numbers on grip frames.
    6. The acid etched panel is original.
    7. Hint of light mottles case colors on frame and more vivid under the loading gate.
    8. Correct 3 line patent date, correct address on barrel, correct 44 CF on trigger guard and 44 marked on the bottom of barrel in front of cylinder pin.

Would appreciate any 'good or bad' insight or opinions you guys might be willing to share about the gun.

Thanks!!

IMG_0270.jpgIMG_0269.jpgIMG_0262.jpg
    IMG_0260.jpgIMG_0268.jpg
    I wonder why someone would do this to a 44-40 made in 1883? The Win M1866 was winding down with all-time low annual sales. But this "conversion" was not a smart idea, as that 44 RF bullet (0.446") is going to have a tough time traveling thru that 44-40 barrel (0.427")!.

But then I'm assuming that the cylinder is now 44 RF?

44-40
    Case Base diameter: .471
    Bullet diameter: .427

44 RF
    Case Base diameter: .441
    Bullet diameter: .446
    Last edited by victorio1sw; 11-11-2019 at 03:36 PM.
    Chaffee and saintclair like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9506 times
    Could be that gun went to Mexico. Lots of rimfires were still in use down there at the time. Just a theory.
    'This is King Fisher's Road--Take the other one'

Member #
    Liked
    247 times
    Will order the letter tomorrow if they answer the phone. Must have been closed today. Mexico makes sense or someone had a lot of 44 RF ammo and had a local smith convert the hammer. It has a 44-40 cylinder in it. Like victorio1sw, I'm a bit confused to why they would have converted the hammer. Maybe someone thought it wouldn't be a problem since a 44 RF round will drop in the cylinder. A fun mystery gun for sure.
    victorio1sw likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1122 times
    Wouldn't the rimfire firing pin stop the centerfire pin before it struck the primer? I think it would be worth the money to have the frame welded and hammer fixed. It may be an old modification but it is not for the better in my opinion.
    victorio1sw, saintclair and Rick like this.
    This all started with one gun!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    23037 times
    That gun configuration is very strange!!
    victorio1sw and Rick like this.

Member #
    Liked
    247 times
    I agree saintclair, very strange indeed. As soon as Colt Archives is back up and running, I'll get a letter. Thought someone here might have seen this hammer configuration before and could shed a little light on it.
    jringo8769 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    247 times
    My thoughts today on this gun after closer examination and research:

1. Think the hammer was done by Colt, not an 1880's gunsmith. The rim fire pin is perfectly fitted and pinned the same as the center fire pin. It's hard to imagine an 1880's gunsmith would have the tooling and expertise to perform this work.
    2. The U.S. Government bought ammo for their Open Top Conversions chambered in 44 RF under the Stetson Patent. This rim fire ammo had internally lubed bullets with the proper diameter to use in a 44-40. The last U.S. purchase for this ammo was in 1880.
    3. The grips are original to the gun. The Wilkerson/Hoyt book states on page 339 that only 27 44-40's from this time period were drilled for rubber stocks. (Also states on same page one plain revolver in 'Government Cartridge" )
    4. Still no clue about the unmarked cylinder.

IMG_0273.jpg

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links