Tulsa Show 1st Gen Find
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Tulsa Show 1st Gen Find

Member #
    Liked
    221 times

Tulsa Show 1st Gen Find

Was walking around the show after setting up our table on Friday and spotted this 1st Gen on a table with a few other miscellaneous guns. Made in 1927, it doesn't appear to have had much use or been shot much. .45 cal., all matching, but the grips, while Colt, are not original to this gun. Mechanically great, excellent bore, no holster wear, and just a hint of a turn line on the cylinder. The case colors are actually a little brighter than they appear in the photos. I tend to stay away from 1st Gens as I'm not all that familiar with the variations and figured I know just enough to get myself in trouble. But I think I did ok with this one.

Colt 1927 1st Gen R.jpg

Colt 1927 1st Gen L.jpg
    Ugly, WVCOLT, cloverleaf and 16 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    3175 times
    Beauty! Thanks for sharing!
    WVCOLT likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3460 times
    Great find. Great gun. And a big thanks for sharing this nice piece with us all here.
    Ugly, lounick, jeepnut711 and 1 others like this.
    - Terry -
    " WVCOLT "

" God created man, but Samuel Colt made them equal "
    " I carry because I'm too young to die and too old to run "

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2561 times
    That 1927 Colt SAA looks so good it would make me wonder if it's been restored.
    phyllis1 and jeepnut711 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Please post more photos. Based on my initial review all blued parts are refinished.

Member #
    Liked
    221 times
    I really don't think it has been restored. It shows no signs of buffing, all markings are very crisp, and everything seems correct (to my knowledge, anyway) except for the grips not being original to the gun. But I welcome any comments, assessments, etc.
    lounick likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    221 times
    Well this is getting curiouser. I went online to do some comparisons of other Colts of similar vintage, and low and behold, I found MY actual gun! Evidently, it sold recently on Guns International. There is no doubt it is the one I bought at Tulsa this weekend; serial number and all other details match.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=101272985

The listing has lots of good pics, so perhaps they will help determine whether the gun has been refinished. And I didn't pay anywhere near the selling price for it.
    Last edited by SR James; 11-12-2019 at 01:57 PM.
    lounick likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3380 times
    Mid 1929 is when colt started using the "colt single action army" barrel legend. If this gun actually dates to 1927 unless it was actually shipped after mid 1929 and they used the current barrel in use at the time the barrel has been replaced. I see edges that don't match up very well in Antique and Moderns' pictures on the right rear frame to start with. I'll attach a few pictures that show sharp edges that should mate perfectly where metal was removed.

I keep telling my friends that 1st generation single actions must the most fooled with guns out there and that if I didn't have 37 years experience with them I wouldn't buy one on a bet unless I bought it from an upstanding dealer who will back it up all the way.

housing.jpgrear left.jpgrear right top 2.jpgrear right.jpg
    Last edited by coltsixguns; 11-12-2019 at 03:11 PM.
    Always interested in adding nice, original or interesting pre 1940 single actions to my private collection. Contact me via PM.

Member #
    Liked
    1933 times
    I agree with coltsixguns plus, the stamping on the barrel is not as deep as others from that period. The fact that it has replacement grips leads me to believe that it was overhauled at some point. Beautiful gun though and well done.

"Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smokewagon and see what happens".
    NRA Life Member
    TGCA Member
    WACA Member

Member #
    Liked
    221 times
    Colt 1927 1st Gen SN grips.jpg

I did notice the left side barrel stamping was more than just the caliber but wasn't sure when that change was made other than it was some time in the twenties. Like I said, I know enough to get myself in trouble. Here's a pic of the grip frame serial numbers. Aren't they normally on the left side of the TG and BS? Do the numbers themselves look like Colt numbers? I didn't do the white filler; it was already like that.
    Ok, did some more checking and found SNs on the right side is correct for a 1927 gun.
    Last edited by SR James; 11-13-2019 at 06:36 AM.
    victorio1sw and Steve61 like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links