Modern V notch and cross pin frame guns?
Like Tree15Likes
  • 5 Post By Cozmo
  • 4 Post By Cozmo
  • 2 Post By LeverActionBill
  • 4 Post By Cozmo

Thread: Modern V notch and cross pin frame guns?

Member #
    Liked
    15458 times

Modern V notch and cross pin frame guns?

Far as I know Colt made just 125 such frames in 1998...all in 45 and 5.5 in barrels. Nice guns but not what they could have been. No matter those details that Colt missed are all something that can be remedied.

1 of 125

125th.jpg

If you have a 1896 or so production Colt Bisley or SAA and pre 1931 1st Gen Colt you have the frame I speak of. Not that the V notch sights are better. But they are the Colt frames I first shot and later owned, past down through four generations, so that frame style became the de rigueur for every Colt I would later own.

Little did I understand the challenge that would create in my own collecting. Equally as difficult to find as the 125th (hence the 1 of 125) year Colt is the USA made USFA guns with a cross pin frame and a V notch tapered front. I'll never shoot them but I did finally find them both. One with Persinger ivory now and the other waiting for carved ivory when Paul is healthy and back to work.

The Colt....made better IMO with a two line address 4 3/4" barrel and a hand cut hammers waiting to be color cased.

The USFA cross pin V notch gun.

Member #
    Liked
    15458 times
    For those that haven't had a chance to play with the Colt Centennial pair it is the only modern Colts that had a real V notch rear sight and a tapered blade front. Sadly not a lot of those guns made either. All the 3rd Gen BP framed guns have a U shaped rear and a standard front sight. So those frames aren't actually traditional BP Colt frames either.

Most that are used to the sight picture on a modern gun think the current Colt U notch and the melted edges of the standard 3rd Gen SAA front sight are bad. And they are, by any modern comparison. But still they are way, way better than the older V notch and tapered blade of the pre 1931 guns.

Square Rear Sight
    Production Dates 1931-1940.

sight_rear_square.jpg

And again in all of the 2nd Gen with the rare exceptions (the Centennial guns being the only exception I know of) The U shaped rear sight continued through current production 3rd Gens, again with rare exceptions (maybe only 125 guns with a true V).

V notch and tapered front is certainly an acquired taste now. But that tiny V notch rear and tapered front blade is the "traditional" 1st Gen sight combo on the BP frames or earlier smokeless frames.

"V" Rear Sight
    Production Dates 1873-1931
    sight_rear_v.jpg

Member #
    Liked
    4239 times
    Cozmo. The early SAAs also had a tapered front sight blade.
    As they transitioned to a heavier front sight (most likely machining and manufacturing were the reason) it made sense to use the squared notch versus the V.
    Ugly and victorio1sw like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    15458 times
    The reason they stopped using the tapered front and the V notch was the end users found the newer sight pattern easier to use. And likely just as important it was a combo that had already proven a cheaper alternative to produce. The 1911 was quick to point that out as the 1911 originally came with a set of sights almost as bad as the pre 1931 SAA sight picture. That didn't last long as the Camp Perry/NRA Championships pressed the 1911 to its limits as a bullseye gun almost from the get go. By the early 1920s Colt was offering a set of square cut front and rear sights on the "match" 1911s (special barrels were also picked out installed and marked MB as a "match barrel" ) those guns were soon to become the "National Match" 1911s. Made perfect sense to just do the same improved sight picture on the old war horse and give it some new life.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links