• 5 Post By victorio1sw

Thread: Frame to trigger guard gap

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    509 times

Frame to trigger guard gap

I see guns like this from time to time, where there's a slight gap between the frame and the trigger guard. Sometimes I'm guessing it's because of a TG screw that's messed up and not allowing the TG to tighten up completely. Sometimes I'm guessing it's due to overzealous refinishing work. What do you think is going on here? In this case it's very slight. Possible it left the factory this way? Gun is circa 1891.

Texas-Shipped-Colt-SAA-45-4-75-inch-barrel_101287206_15976_51A14843D82B168F.jpg
    Texas-Shipped-Colt-SAA-45-4-75-inch-barrel_101287206_15976_62FB6056D1D58CAE.jpg
    Texas-Shipped-Colt-SAA-45-4-75-inch-barrel_101287206_15976_C2137E5A24EA4EBC.jpg

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Usually on an original finish gun if there is a gap on the RH side like that, it is caused by the plunger screw for the loading gate spring protruding past the bottom plane of the frame.
    coltsixguns and saintclair like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1738 times
    Bow like gap is sometimes caused by too strong of main spring. Especially on old iron (softer) parts.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    509 times
    Thanks much for the info, sounds like good theories.

Member #
    Liked
    2261 times
    No, it didn't leave the factory that way. The trigger guard is bent. The most common cause is tightening the three trigger guard screws, without checking to see that the gate tension screw is backed out. The gate tension screw should be flush with the bottom of the frame, or better yet, with the screw head recessed into its threaded hole.

I've straightened more of these than I care to remember!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    509 times
    Quote Originally Posted by victorio1sw View Post
    No, it didn't leave the factory that way. The trigger guard is bent. The most common cause is tightening the three trigger guard screws, without checking to see that the gate tension screw is backed out. The gate tension screw should be flush with the bottom of the frame, or better yet, with the screw head recessed into its threaded hole.

I've straightened more of these than I care to remember!
    What's the process to straighten?

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links