Which Era Of Colt SAA Give The Best Value For The Buck?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Which Era Of Colt SAA Give The Best Value For The Buck?

Member #
    Liked
    263 times
    I also agree with dogface6 and what Chaffee just said.
    When saying "best value for the buck", my opinion would be a pre-WWI SAA or late 1890's if you have a fatter wallet. Either one are fine to use with smokeless powder and will give you hours of fun while significantly increasing in value as time goes by. This may be blasphemy on this forum but to me, a 2nd or 3rd gen. Colt is just another Colt clone of the real thing........a 1st gen. Colt.

Member #
    Liked
    183 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cozmo View Post
    First year or so of 2nd Gens were built in part on 1st Gen parts. And guys that still knew how a 1st Gen gun was built were still working. By the end of the 2nd Gens, new parts suppliers were in the queque and Colt wanted to save money building the guns to up the profit margins.

It is an old story that the machines were worn out. More likely Colt was just trying to do cost saving measures and use less labor per gun. So they were switching machines and sub contractors. By the end of the 2nd Gens they were darn close to being 3rd Gen guns as we were to see later on. Grip frames and trigger guards had already changed, as were many of the internals, only the cylinder bushing was still in place.

If you look at a gamut of Colts, from early to late 1st Gens, same on 2nds and now 3rds it is hard to understand how anyone can justify the costs some of the years and condition demand. I agree 1st Gens loose their history by WWI and it is pretty much all gone by the beginning of WWII.

If I had waited 40 years to buy a Colt..I'd buy a Uberti @ $500 first and see what all the excitement is about You may find there isn't any or decide you must have a early 1st and shoot BP. One never knows.
    That's part of the problem! I have Uberti Colts, Ruger clones, a Colt New Line from the late 1870s, and a Colt Lightning from the 1880s. I have wanted a real Colt SAA ever since I read my first Louis L'amour novel in the 1970s. I will get one eventually. I really like a Bisley but the last one I saw for sale in person had been re-blued and wore an extra high-dollar price tag. I'll keep looking. I keep hoping my book royalties will come in soon and I'll have some cash to spend.

Thanks for all the advice.
    Cozmo likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9599 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Agarbers View Post
    I have wanted a real Colt SAA ever since I read my first Louis L'amour novel in the 1970's. I keep hoping my book royalties will come in soon and I'll have some cash to spend.

Thanks for all the advice.
    In that case I'd get an honest, 1st gen. you don't have to try for a high condition gun, just a used, correct one, in .45 or .44-40. $2500 will still get you a decent one. You'll never regret that. If you want to shoot, get a cheap Uberti or even a later Colt.
    'This is King Fisher's Road--Take the other one'

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    15526 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Agarbers
    …... I have wanted a real Colt SAA ever since I read my first Louis L'amour novel in the 1970s...... .
    In that case, worth noting, likely everyone here that doesn't have a 1st Gen gun, wants one Chaffee is offering sound advice. The forum membership as a whole hordes a lot of 1st Gen guns. You might find what you want among them.

Member #
    Liked
    2665 times
    Quote Originally Posted by xitnet View Post
    My opinion would be a pre-WWI SAA or late 1890's if you have a fatter wallet. Either one are fine to use with smokeless powder
    There should be a disclaimer on this, you know the one that says "don't try this at home". Black powder only for anything from the 1800's if you put any value on your fingers, hands, eyes, face, etc. And there's never any guarantee with a used gun from that era that someone along the way hasn't already made that mistake and put undue stress on the gun already.
    Cozmo likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    502 times
    Why would you guys recommend a pre 60s 2nd gen vs a newer production 3rd gen? Aren't the recent 3rd gens as good as anything Colt ever put out, minus the history? I have had 4 or 5 of them from 2013-2016 and they were all fantastic in fit and finish.

Member #
    Liked
    711 times
    “I have had 4 or 5 of them from 2013-2016 and they were all fantastic in fit and finish.”

Compared to what?
    Cozmo likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1036 times

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by hearsedriver View Post
    Mid 2000's 3rd Gen's are nice and as good as anything Colt ever made in my opinion.
    I share that opinion and would agree with it completely.
    RM38920 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2293 times
    Value? Depends on your definition. To me it means when the best guns were generally made, mid 1890's-WWI. I like Bisleys over Single Action Armys which were all made in that time frame, but the same holds true for the SAA also. Now that's just my sense of value, yours may be different.

Member #
    Liked
    471 times
    I think value depends on two categories, no matter what generation your talking about.
    1. Price you pay
    2. Condition of gun.
    Since all SAA's regardless of gen appreciate in value ( some more than others ) thats the bottom line. I plan on passing mine down to my kids so value to me is subjective.
    " I've got 1 bullet and it's got your email address on it. Don't make me hit send."

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links