Which Era Of Colt SAA Give The Best Value For The Buck?
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Which Era Of Colt SAA Give The Best Value For The Buck?

Member #
    Liked
    113 times

Which Era Of Colt SAA Give The Best Value For The Buck?

I have been wanting a real Colt SAA for over 40 years and for one reason or another, I haven't pulled the trigger, pun intended. I was thinking I would like a first Generation and don't mind honest wear, to an extent. But after reading the thread by ctk, I am rethinking this. The idea that any Colt SAA from that time period is suspect makes me want to stop looking. I also want to know what about that revolver, and the revolver referenced on GB, is worth so much ($4k-6K).

The revolver I want has to have been taken care of, a shooter I can enjoy from time to time, and yet still fulfill that Walter Mitty part of me that can envision a potential history when I hold it in my hands. Is there a time frame that is a better value and still fills the requirements I have mentioned?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9430 times
    If you don't want a 1st gen for whatever reason, and one you can shoot till your hearts content get a 2nd generation.
    'This is King Fisher's Road--Take the other one'

Member #
    Liked
    239 times
    ... and if you aren't worried about the cost of ammo (or you re-load yourself) the best investment would be with .45 cal.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1900 times
    Mid 2000's 3rd Gen's are nice and as good as anything Colt ever made in my opinion.

"Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smokewagon and see what happens".
    NRA Life Member
    TGCA Member
    WACA Member

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1760 times
    Get a Colt Frontier Six Shooter centennial. These are the only .44/40 2nd Generation SAAs made, are nickel finished, are nicely fitted and finished revolvers, and are limited in production, These have lots of the nice Pre-War features and you can still buy one for a decent price. These are great shooters and are a good buy for the dollars invested. JMHO.
    jringo8769 and jeepnut711 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    884 times
    Any generation should scratch your 40 year itch. Just post a photo of your SAA when you get it!!
    BigMuddy and mentallapse like this.

Member #
    Liked
    193 times
    First decide on whether you want blackpowder or smokeless powder gun. All the guns of the old west period are black powder. Early smokeless powder guns...say 1902 forward...still have history especially if they were shipped out west. If I were you I would look for a 2nd generation gun...mid 60's model. But if you really want the "Walter Middy" history thing then look for a 1st gen that has been refinished into a shooter. The don't have as much collector value and are fine guns for shooters.

Member #
    Liked
    3087 times
    1st's are expensive and old real early ones are black powder only, I would not buy one to shoot alot- the 2nds are very nice but getting up there in price. I would look for a not to gaudy commemorative 2nd first step at a fair price point then- I would look for a newer 3rd with a removable bushing if I was looking for my first SAA to shoot and shoot quite a bit.

I am a odd duck as I like the .357 in the SAA alot- even though my favorite is the 44 special.

Ersii is right, the converted smokeless ok firsts can be fine shooters and reasonable priced but I would still not shoot most of them much with smokeless.
    Last edited by Ugly; 11-14-2019 at 09:28 PM.
    ersiii likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    15245 times
    Lots of good answers already. I'll add...decide what you want for finish, caliber and barrel length 1st. Then show or tell us what it is. Then ask the membership nicely for just such a model (in the WTB section is best for that request) Make an effort to check out the forum member making the offer and then buy from someone you trust. Generation of the gun at that point won't matter much. Colt made/makes good guns in every Generation. And "deals' can be had in every Generation. Only guns with any real history are going to be 1st Gens.

As mentioned if you want to shoot it with smokeless factory ammo, stay with 1902/3 or later guns. I'd say 1921 or later myself. Black powder only? Go earlier. Any decent and shootable 1st Gen gun, no matter the age, is gonna cost you...best to be prepared for that. Most 1st Gen guns will likely need some or all this, rebuilt, retimed, rebuild the hammer. All that costs money. 1st Gen guns in exception condition will demand a high price. For most, too high to shoot even on a special occasion. May be double the price of a new third or a nice 2nd Gen shooter.

If it were me? I'd find a NIB current production 3rd at Colt's MSRP and shoot the heck out of it. I'd say you'd be better off to just forget about the 1st Gen supposed "history".
    Last edited by Cozmo; 11-14-2019 at 10:43 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    473 times
    "If it were me? I'd find a NIB current production 3rd at Colt's MSRP and shoot the heck out of it. I'd say you'd be better off to just forget about the 1st Gen supposed "history".[/QUOTE]

Truer words rarely spoken. Ask Coz, he kneaux! And for all we really know, a 1st gens' "real romantic history" may have been just hanging on a nail in an outhouse for protection of an individual temporarily in a compromised position somewhere in Mississippi! No dig at Mississippi, just sayin. All that I think of when factoring a 1st gen SAA's value is condition, condition, condition, unknown history/romance element--see above.
    Last edited by tgoose1; 11-15-2019 at 07:07 AM.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links