Photos of damaged SAA guns? Can you help?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Photos of damaged SAA guns? Can you help?

Member #
    Liked
    2441 times
    Had problems installing this 1st type ejector housing, so beat the hell out of the front face of it. Smart!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MarkInTx likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2441 times
    This kind of thing was done in the early 1960's, as I recall the vibrator pens being advertised on TV then. Yes, they put their SSA numbers on their TV's and tools -- but also on the guns!
    MarkInTx and superdave269 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    213 times
    Quote Originally Posted by victorio1sw View Post
    "Oh, but the cylinder wouldn't turn"!!
    That is one way to loosen up old rust and crud , work it back and forth .
    victorio1sw likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2441 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Some guy View Post
    That is one way to loosen up old rust and crud , work it back and forth .
    That cylinder beating reminds me of what I saw in the oil field. If a pipe isn't unscrewing, then beat the collar with a 10# hammer!! I mean beat it unmercifully. It worked, but of course, the method shouldn't be used on guns.

Member #
    Liked
    2441 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bowles View Post
    Looks like this may have been a "tack driver"

It sure is an interesting butt strap inscription though. I'm glad they didn't pound the inscription.

Member #
    Liked
    2441 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Patbar View Post
    Below are photos of the grip of my 1875 SAA. They have shrunk, have corner chips and have thinned quite a bit. It looks like this Colt has been worn outside in all types of weather.

Attachment 663927Attachment 663929
    Your 1875 SAA is a very honest-looking old Colt.

I have a Colt SAA U.S. in the 7xxx range with grips worse than that, but all original. The grips wore down overall, but lots of loss along the left butt area. The muzzle is worn very thin too on the left side from sticking out the bottom of a holster -- and rubbing/bouncing on the saddle. Most likely a 5th or 9th Cavalry gun, I'm told.
    Last edited by victorio1sw; 11-16-2019 at 06:15 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    1026 times
    This kind of thing was done in the early 1960's, as I recall the vibrator pens being advertised on TV then. Yes, they put their SSA numbers on their TV's and tools -- but also on the guns!
    I bought a SAA that had the SS number etched on it too. Just for grins I googled the number and it came back to a fellow that lived about 100 miles south of me, and who died in 1983 (I bought the gun in 2016). So it kind of gave a me a bit of history on the gun.
    Cozmo, victorio1sw and MarkInTx like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2441 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dandak View Post
    I bought a SAA that had the SS number etched on it too. Just for grins I googled the number and it came back to a fellow that lived about 100 miles south of me, and who died in 1983 (I bought the gun in 2016). So it kind of gave a me a bit of history on the gun.
    Yes, although we hate that "they" put their SSN on a gun, it does sometimes allow a positive ID of the original owner. I had one SAA with two initials in the grips, and because of the SSN I was able to identify the father and son (1900 to 1920's). The gun was shipped in 1908. Otherwise with just initials --- NO WAY!
    Cozmo likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4408 times
    Here’s two:
    one of a “ringed frame”. Caused by the excessive battering of the bushing against the inside front of the frame. The distance between the two points was .006”. So the measurement between was larger than the frame opening. No way to reduce end shake without adding metal to the battered frame area.
    And secondly a milled top strap to accept a Kings adjustable - done well, many moons ago.
    All SAA work. Check out my webpage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    148 times
    Your 1875 SAA is a very honest-looking old Colt.

I have a Colt SAA U.S. in the 7xxx range with grips worse than that, but all original. The grips wore down overall, but lots of loss along the left butt area. The muzzle is worn very thin too on the left side from sticking out the bottom of a holster -- and rubbing/bouncing on the saddle. Most likely a 5th or 9th Cavalry gun, I'm told.
    My own Colt's grips are about as worn as yours, and its muzzle is worn thin too, but what really astonishes me is that it is still very tight with almost no play at the cylinder, and that the chambers and bore have no oxidation. The only part that is not original is the hammer which is of the 1905-1908 type. It's not a Cavalry gun like yours, but a civilian model.

PB170001.JPGPB170002.JPG
    victorio1sw likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links