Cowboys, Colts and a everyday working gun
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree216Likes

Thread: Cowboys, Colts and a everyday working gun

Member #
    Liked
    15427 times

Cowboys, Colts and a everyday working gun

It doesn't take much of a ranch or much imagination to wonder how our old 1st Generation Colts got used and in many cases abused.

Upfront from what I have seen most were simply "cleaned to death". Well taken care of hand guns (good ones were expensive even then by any measure) were cleaned because of the common use of black powder ammo in many of the older cartridges even up to WWII and the daily wear and tear a hand gun gets carried out in the weather 24/365. Gray guns, with little blueing left and a similar amount of case colors and no pitting were...in fact, well taken care of every day tools.

And those were the well taken care of Colts!

This on the other hand is the Swiss Army knife of tools. The first Leatherman? May be

US Troopers in Cuba, during the Spanish American War, cracking coffee beans with the butts of their artillery models.

Quote Originally Posted by dogface6
    Since we're talking 'bob ware', and the use of a revolver butt to secure staples - 'not' a whole helluva lot of fun, by the way - here's yet another possible culprit for those chewed-up gun butts...

Coffee grinding...
    Seriously - back when Civil War troops were issued coffee, they were issued coffee beans - not 'fine roast' - and it fell to whomever in the squad given mess duty to prep the squad's meals.
    There's even a reference in 'Hardtack and Coffee' but I'm too lazy to ferret it out.
    'Maybe' this can account for some of the markings - maybe not - but it does beat the hoary 'wanted poster' stories, though I have no problem attaching credence to the use as a quick hammer - I 'know' what guys will do in a pinch...
    Here's a different fencing tool - a 'saddlehorn' fencing tool first patented in 1945 - Glaskin's 'Atomic Hammer' - it'll go perfectly with that holster-worn Second Generation SAA.

"In the West there were always more coffee beans and fence staples than wanted posters"

Been a good many older Colts with the bottom of the back strap and one piece wood grips damaged by using the gun's but as a hammer, like our well meaning coffee grinders above. As said prior way more fence staples set than tacks putting up wanted posters.

Fencing? Barbed wire and other. Lots of different kinds of fencing although most folks want to think of "bobbed wire" when thinking about the expansion and settlement of the West. Truth is folks used what ever was available and "easy" to put up. Wire being one of them but there are others depending on the resources available locally.

When wood is cheap and it is hard to dig a hole.

Buck rail

Barbed wire

The inventor was Lucien B Smith of Ohio. As Ranchers and Farmers moved out on the plains, and needed to fence their land in against encroaching farmers and other ranchers. The railroads throughout the growing West needed to keep livestock off their tracks, and farmers needed to keep stray cattle from trampling their crops. Traditional fence materials used in the Eastern U.S., like wood and stone, were expensive to use in the large open spaces of the plains, and hedging was not reliable in the rocky, clay-based and rain-starved dusty soils. A cost-effective alternative was barbed wire. Three or four staples to hammer and loosen per post.

I'm a lucky man. Last couple of weeks we have torn down and are now rebuilding a couple of miles of fence line.

Like many here I have a different perspective on building fence. Folks like to think that riding fence line on a horse (checking to see if the fence is intact or is in need of serious repair) also means you'll fix some fence from horse back. So goes the romance of that well worn Colt 1st Generation pistol

One needs to think about that for a minute and what it actually takes to build or even just fix a fence besides a minor..as in very minor repair.

You'll likely need all of this this...

roll of wire
    puller
    pliers
    staples
    30# Breaker bar
    Post hole digger
    shovel
    pick

Seen more than one Colt grip and butt strap that a fencing staple fits into perfectly. Staples are soft steel...early split rail fence posts were generally very soft wood or just green wood cut from lodge pole pine, aspen or anything skinny enough to haul to your fence line in bulk. So yes you can see every strike on the butt of a pistol used for that job. And done enough the grip's butt and frame will be beat up pretty badly.

Horses and wire...neither were good for early lever guns or pistols. Horse likely broke more lever gun stocks that Injun fights Wire likely damaged as many handguns as have been lost to time.

FWIW, In 1905, Hubert L. Wright invented what is known today as the "Hammerhead Plier," which kicked off the invention of the Modern-Day Fence plier. Wright was connected to the Utica Drop Forge & Tool company in Utica, NY, Which is where our current UTICA Plier gets its name from.

A copy of that early version of a fencing tool with a spike added....both versions still get used on a regular basis if you have wire on the property.

A latter design for a "Plammer" (plier/hammer below on my work saddle) if anyone is interested. Bigger, easier to use hammer, but not as tidy to carry on a horse. Claw will put a hole in your chaps as will that sharp spike, given a chance.

Anyone wanting to match their disfigured Colt up to a fence staple I have hundreds in the barn I can loan ya

If you look close it is the same place my Grandfather carried his set of fencing pliers.

Fencing work means a shit load of heavy and awkward tools and supplies. And hard labor. Chain gang type ha rd labor. You aint gonna carry that on a horse. You won't carry much of it on just one pack mule. Pretty much requires a fence crew and a wagon to get a serious fencing job done. Did then, does now. Cowboys didn't (don't) like working on the fence crew.

Quote Originally Posted by dogface6 View Post
    You may not think that, because you look at it as more of a collectable and not as the tool that the original owner did, and using it to twist and tighten barbed wire was but one of the uses it was probably put to.
    Times changed, and with them, so did attitudes towards 'things', so when one looks at a period object, he can't judge it with the eyes of today, but with the eyes of the time frame of its era.
    That there are scratches that are present from back then indicate the man's life it accompanied since it was first built, and how it served him well.
    They didn't revere them - they didn't sit around the campfires, singing good ol' cowboy songs like 'Little Joe the Wrangler' and 'Utah Carroll', and cleaning them, tuning them and Ren-Waxing them to a high shine, either - when and if they cleaned them, they'd use boiling water and sometimes soap for the black powder, with a rag on a stick pushed through the barrel and charge holes and follow up with sperm oil - with more sperm oil dripped into the innards for good measure.
    Then, they'd re-holster them in their un-lined, mail order house holster built without a safety strap or hammer thong, and that'd be that - and every do often, in the boredom of winter, maybe someone would even find a good, straight nail, and with an artistic bent, would do a bit of 'punch-dot' engraving to make his a little different from ol' Shorty's over yonder.
    As to clubbing someone with their piece - Earp did it, and often, in the trail towns.
    It's all in the way it's held, as to whether it damages the backstrap/triggerguard and their screws, but in a fight, anything that's in the hand becomes a weapon, and remember, even though it wound up on the screen, there's usually a historical precedent or three that adds verisimilitude to salve the writer's conscience and convinces him that not everything he's writing is a bald-faced lie.
    The other one yet to be mentioned is a 7 or 8" barrel used as a lever to tighten wire. Anyone else seen a old Colt with wire marks on the barrel? Although the worse one I have seen that shows evidence of "wire work" was a 4 3/4" 38wcf. "I 'know' what guys will do in a pinch" makes one realize how firearms have been looked at simply as tools by many owners. Pry bar, gun, lever or hammer....still beats a Phammer most days.

Using a barrel like that does nothing for shooting POA/POI btw. Longer the barrel the better the leverage on the fence. And the more likely you'll bend a barrel.

Handguns have always been expensive. Used as a tool? For sure. But much of the damage done to them early on was from cleaning and sitting in holsters that were sewn shut on the bottom so that dirt and dust became emory paper to grind the barrel ends, ejector rods and ejector rod housings away along with cylinders and front sights. Anything a early Colt rubber grip touched would do the same to the soft rubber, wood, bone or ivory.

Bench vice marks from turning a barrel...

More here:

https://www.coltforum.com/forums/sin...tell-alot.html

Member #
    Liked
    168 times
    Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to write it and share it with us!
    Cozmo, MarkInTx and krag96 like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1815 times

Smile

I always thought the claw hammer was developed after the SAA was introduced.
    Cozmo and krag96 like this.
    COLT,finally a HANDGUN worth owning!!!
    Life Member NRA-1974
    Psalm 23 “The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing—-“
    I had a commission USNR from 71-77 but do not consider myself a Vet
    My Dad and his four brothers USMC,WW2,Korea,Vietnam were Vets

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2543 times
    Good write up and enjoyable. That wooden fence reminds me of the ones here in Gettysburg around the battlefield.

Member #
    Liked
    15427 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sturmgewehr View Post
    I always thought the claw hammer was developed after the SAA was introduced.

An early claw hammer is seen in Albrecht Dürer's etching "Melencolia I," dated 1514

hamm.jpg

The Plier was invented in Europe about 2000 BC and was used most often than not to grip things that were hot. Now, almost 4,000 years later, we have more pliers than we know what to do with. But to those of us in the Fence Industry, one man made all the difference.

In 1905, Hubert L. Wright invented what is known today as the "Hammerhead Plier," which kicked off the invention of the Modern-Day Fence plier. Wright was connected to the Utica Drop Forge & Tool company in Utica, NY, Which is where our current UTICA Plier gets its name from. Below is the actual patent drawing submitted to the U.S. Patent Office back over 100 years ago.

Later, in 1909, H.F. Kelleman, also for the Utica Drop Forge @ Tool company Introduced what will later become the Square Nose Fence Pliers.
    Last edited by Cozmo; 11-18-2019 at 08:40 AM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22984 times
    Dane, Great educational post! I have owned Colt SAA's that were used as a hammer and for tightening up barbed wire with the barrel.
    Cozmo, SHOOTER13 and krag96 like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2301 times
    Nice write up Cozmo, lets my mind wander back to a simpler era. Good Friends, Good Guns, Good Whiskey: Selected Works of Skeeter Skelton.

Craig
    Cozmo, SHOOTER13, krag96 and 1 others like this.
    NRA Life Member
    Colt Collectors Association
    CCDL Member
    Colt Woodsman Collector

Member #
    Liked
    15427 times
    Patent was given in 1867 to Lucien B. Smith of Kent, Ohio for barbed wire. A set of fencing pliers wasn't invented until 1905. That gave us the opportunity of 38 full years of 1st Gen Colt abuse And it did happen.

Part of the point to my post is that sure, staples got hammered with guns butts, but fence wasn't built by cowboys on horse back. Fence got built by fence crews and wagons or pack animals to haul all the gear needed to get the job done. When you look at strigging a mile of hard scabble barbed wire fencing a Colt wouldn't last the first 3 posts.

Guns got worn out from cleaning way more than we can appreciate now. They got worn out from riding in holsters full of dust and dirt all the while being exposed to the elements 24/365 while rubbing on what ever happened along, leather chaps, wool and canvas coats, saddles, riata or a snorty horse. A sewn bottom on the holster just made the wear happen even faster. Common wear pattern on a 7.5" in a military style holster.

Obviously a six gun was good for self defence against wild critters or bad men. A long gun is almost always better and cheaper. Now a days folks carry a hand gun for similar reasons, along with putting an animal down when needed. What you don't hear of these days and where a long gun is of no use, is on a hung up stirrup or a mean ass cow trying to hook your horse. Both common and likely lethal events back in the day. They call them "wrecks" for a reason. Ever wonder where the term "car wreck" or "train wreck" came from as opposed to a "wreck". For a long time "horse wrecks" killed or seriously injured way more folks than cars or trains.

russ1.jpg

russ.jpg

russ2.jpg
    Last edited by Cozmo; 11-18-2019 at 09:25 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    15427 times
    Quote Originally Posted by colt03
    Nice write up Cozmo, lets my mind wander back to a simpler era. Good Friends, Good Guns, Good Whiskey: Selected Works of Skeeter Skelton.
    One of my favorite writers for sure and those some of his best stories.
    colt03, SHOOTER13, Ugly and 2 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    15427 times
    Quote Originally Posted by saintclair
    …..I have owned Colt SAA's that were used as a hammer and for tightening up barbed wire with the barrel.
    Thanks Terry. First buggered up SAA I saw from wire I was stumped how it happened. But I knew I'd seen the same marks on something. Just couldn't figure out what it was from or where. Took me a bit to put 2 and 2 together. Once you know what you are looking at it is easy to identify. Some times a good stick is just damn hard to find

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links