Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Unusual Colt Box End Label

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22994 times

Unusual Colt Box End Label

I purchased a Colt SAA last week that was in what appeared to be its original box. The gun dates to about 1936 and is in exceptional condition. The box had a 'spliced' end label (see photo). Has anyone seen this unusual end label configuration?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    802 times
    I have not seen a label like that but it could be the use up of what labels are already printed and handy, at time of packaging. . Wouldn't surprise me in the least. As to that pistol - wow! Very, very nice. I assume the folded paper in the box is a target?
    Hootch56 and saintclair like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1978 times
    I can't comment on the label, but there is no telling what Colt would do to save a few pennies.
    The gun is a different story...it is in amazing condition!! Nicely done!
    "Cowards never lasted long enough to become real
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ." --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life Member: NRA, TSRA, NMSSA
    Action Pistol Director-TSRA

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5436 times
    i have seen that done before they just use a standard box and cut off a different caliber and glue it on....

Very nice by the way you always come up with winners....RR
    Hootch56 and saintclair like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2749 times
    Beautiful Terry! I should have followed you over there!
    saintclair and jringo8769 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2543 times
    Can't speak to the label but that is one fine Colt SAA 38wcf. As they used to say that cost a pretty penny. Way to go Saintclair
    saintclair likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1076 times
    1936 is pretty late and I’ll bet Colt had a big inventory of SAA labels of all calibers and barrel lengths......except maybe the 5 1/2” and 38-40, rubber blue combination. My guess is that they cut those numbers off the labels from other models and pasted them on your end-label. You wouldn’t want to peel them off but under those short pieces is probably a complete label for an SAA version they had a lot of extra labels for.
    Last edited by Blackjack33; 11-18-2019 at 12:49 PM.
    saintclair and inspcalahan like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22994 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack33 View Post
    1936 is pretty late and I’ll bet Colt had a big inventory of SAA labels of all calibers and barrel lengths......except maybe the 5 1/2” and 38-40, rubber blue combination. My guess is that they cut those numbers off the labels from other models and pasted them on your end-label. You wouldn’t want to peel them off but under those short pieces is probably a complete label for an SAA version they had a lot of extra labels for.
    Blackjack33, There appear to be a total of three labels tightly adhered to the end. I guess as several have said, "Colt was just using up the labels they had available at the time." This end label aggregate is reminiscent of a kidnap ransom letter where the kidnappers cut various letters/words out of different magazines.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22994 times
    Quote Originally Posted by inspcalahan View Post
    I have not seen a label like that but it could be the use up of what labels are already printed and handy, at time of packaging. . Wouldn't surprise me in the least. As to that pistol - wow! Very, very nice. I assume the folded paper in the box is a target?
    Yes, that is the target. Also included is the original bore brush. No wax wrapping paper.
    jringo8769 and victorio1sw like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22994 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ussmanlovede36 View Post
    Can't speak to the label but that is one fine Colt SAA 38wcf. As they used to say that cost a pretty penny. Way to go Saintclair
    What impressed me the most is there is no sign of a drag mark on the cylinder. The grips also have the serial number scratched in on the backs.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links