1880 Cavalry -Whats it worth ?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: 1880 Cavalry -Whats it worth ?

Member #
    Liked
    1932 times

1880 Cavalry -Whats it worth ?

So, Ive been out of the loop for a little while restoring a car and was wondering if anyone had an idea of what an 1880 US Cavalry/Artillery is worth? I know these things fluctuate in price. This one was part of a shipment of 200 guns to the US Govt in 1880. It was returned to the factory in 1903 where the barrel was shortened to 5 1/2", worn parts replaced, cleaning, and returned to the Springfield Armory. Seen some action for sure. US stamped frame, Ainsworth inspected trigger guard, 3 or 4 letters stamped under the barrel that I cant make out. A "K" on the back of the cylinder which has 4 digit serial that I cant make out clearly either. When I got it, it had the wrong grips on it so I replaced them with period correct one piece walnuts that have quite a bit of original varnish left and fit very nicely. Nice action with 4 solid clicks. Timing is excellent. Bore is not terrible and has pitting and good rifling. Barrel to cylinder gap is excellent. I think it would shoot fine but I have never shot it. Colt lettered. Hidden areas of original bluing but mostly a gray finish. Any thoughts on value? I might be moving it in the near future. Cant make up my mind as I really like this gun. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smokewagon and see what happens".
    NRA Life Member
    TGCA Member
    WACA Member

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    23037 times
    Without a Kopec verification, my guess is $2500-$3000. I like the very low SN on the TG!

Member #
    Liked
    1889 times
    Pull the grips. No varnish on US models and these civilian with original (?) varnish are 300.00+ alone. This would be one of the early DFC guns but no DFC over serial number on frame but it letters correctly. IMO, 2000.00-2500.00.
    Last edited by Rick; 11-18-2019 at 06:07 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1932 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Pull the grips. No varnish on US models and these civilian with original (?) varnish are 300.00+ alone. This would be one of the early DFC guns but no DFC over serial number on frame but it letters correctly. IMO, 2000.00-2500.00.
    They are civilian grips . I installed them myself and I paid a little more than $300.00 for them.
    victorio1sw and jringo8769 like this.

NRA Life Member
    TGCA Member
    WACA Member

Member #
    My boots are stained with Confederate soil
    Liked
    1964 times
    Because of what this is, I don't see it bringing less than $2000, and $2500 seems about right for this one, or close to it.

Low serial numbered components are nice, but without a Kopec letter, you can't be sure they might not be, or other parts might not be, Civilian in origin. Been there...done that!
    saintclair likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1122 times
    If the other parts are from US Military guns then 2500 to 3000 would be a good place to start. Does the cylinder have a number and inspector mark? How about the backstrap and barrel? It looks well used but good.
    This all started with one gun!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    23037 times
    I think Rick and Ian (mrcvs) are saying (like myself) that $2500 to $3000 would be tops without a Kopec 'blessing.'

Member #
    Liked
    1932 times
    Here is a picture of the back fo the cylinder. There are 4 numbers stamped on the side of it but they are so thin, I cant hardly read them. I dont remember if the backstrap is marked or not. I'd have to pull the grips to see.
    Attached Images Attached Images

NRA Life Member
    TGCA Member
    WACA Member

Member #
    Liked
    1932 times
    Quote Originally Posted by saintclair View Post
    I think Rick and Ian (mrcvs) are saying (like myself) that $2500 to $3000 would be tops without a Kopec 'blessing.'
    Well, that sounds fine. I'll let the next guy order a Kopec letter for it. I dont want to invest any more into it. I was hoping it would be closer to $3K so, I might as well just start shooting it. Should make lots of smoke and noise with some black powder!
    29aholic likes this.

NRA Life Member
    TGCA Member
    WACA Member

Member #
    Liked
    6512 times
    I guess I haven't ever really followed SAAs, but weren't real US marked ones always double or triple what a civilian was? I mean, in the 1980s I'd see values in the thousands, when the civilian ones were in the mid hundreds. Today a gray gun that is civilian will be about $1000-$1500. A US Cavalry issue SAA is only $2500? You can barely gett a good 2nd generation for that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links