Help evaluating 1880 etched walnut CFSS
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Help evaluating 1880 etched walnut CFSS

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Help evaluating 1880 etched walnut CFSS

Been looking wistfully (and fearfully) at 1st gen SAAs for a long time and now have the opportunity to buy this lettered 1880 etched CFSS...matching SNs, 7.5" barrel and walnut grips. Shipped to Hartley and Graham, NYC. Given the finish loss, is $4K range too much? Confess I can't seem to find much to compare to recently. Many thanks in advance...
    CFSS 1.png
    CFSS 2.png
    CFSS 3.png
    CFSS 6.png
    CFSS 5.png
    chrometank likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    155 times
    I'm going to guess the experts are going to want to see the letter. Some of the photos you posted are too grainy and small for close examination.

Member #
    Liked
    846 times
    the front sight looks funny.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Thanks for the replies...here's the letter. Photos unfortunately are not mine.
    CFSS 7.png

Member #
    My boots are stained with Confederate soil
    Liked
    1965 times
    Just looking at the photographs of this revolver on my phone and not my computer at home allows me to come to some conclusions, which may change when photographs are viewed at home on a computer.

From what I see, $4000 is probably fair if you want it badly enough, $3500 for an etched panel Colt Frontier Six Shooter is probably a more fair price to you for a gun with limited finish but a panel present. Be careful though as the panel is often quite worn on a well used gun and the question of a restoration arises.

As for comparable sales, one sold over last weekend at auction and the overall appearance was less pleasing than yours as it appeared to have been heavily cleaned, bit a similar panel was present. That one was a bit more desirable because it had a 4 3/4" barrel, these being quite rare with regards to acid etched Colt Frontier Six Shooter revolvers. The auction house had a pre auction estimate of $2500 to $4500, and it hammered at $2600, which corresponds to $2990 if one pays cash. I thought overall prices at that auction were rather soft, but that could be part of a bigger trend.
    moleary648 and saintclair like this.

Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    IMO from the guns I have seen, this gun has a lot of wear for the etched panel to be that good. I could be wrong, but just a observation. If it was correct and original, that price is about what I see asking prices ($4000-$5000). However as Mrcvs pointed out, auction results are a great way to determine the going price.
    Thanks for sharing, it is a nice looking gun.
    Last edited by Pittstate03; 11-28-2019 at 05:50 PM.
    moleary648 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    155 times
    My Colt New Line dates to 1875 and the panel is in about the same condition.
    IMG_3461.jpg
    moleary648 and cloverleaf like this.

Member #
    Liked
    83 times
    I don't see anything wrong with the acid etched panel. I have had several over the years and this appears to be correct and not re-done. Acid etched panels were all done by hand at different times and by different workers. None of them in any serial range are going to be etched at the same depth. I have an 1883 vintage 7 1/2" with more finish than your gun and the panel is almost the same depth. Some are deep and some are not, simple as that. I would not worry about it at all. Price seems to be fair for the vintage and finish.
    Mikebiker, moleary648 and Rick like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1933 times
    The price is fair in my opinion. Its a nice, honest gun!
    moleary648 and Rick like this.

"Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smokewagon and see what happens".
    NRA Life Member
    TGCA Member
    WACA Member

Member #
    Liked
    1131 times
    As said the pictures are a bit on the small and grainy side but I see nothing alarming in them. Do you have any history on the gun? If it recently out of an estate or long time collection it has much less chance of being altered. I often hear the gun is too nice to be correct yet everyone wants a nice gun? As for the price I don't think 4000 is way off the mark. The market is always changing and some days thing go low and few days later they go high. On a gun like this it is up to you. If the gun is correct and original you may not get another chance for a long time at a gun like this. The only way to be certain is to examine the gun in person and check every part for being correct. Only with the gun in hand and enough knowledge can one be certain if it is all good.
    moleary648 and Rick like this.
    This all started with one gun!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links