Ways To Verify (Or Not) A Colt SAA?
Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By LeverActionBill
  • 5 Post By Mikebiker
  • 1 Post By TheTache

Thread: Ways To Verify (Or Not) A Colt SAA?

Member #
    Liked
    155 times

Ways To Verify (Or Not) A Colt SAA?

I am going to look at a pistol tomorrow that was allegedly owned by a now dead western movie star. The photos I have seen make it appear that all markings have been buffed off or buried under engraving and nickle plating.

What would you do in such an event to verify if it is indeed a Colt SAA from 1874? I plain on bringing a calipers and a loupe and document everything I can find.

Member #
    Liked
    4240 times
    Agarbers. There were 100’s of “B” Western Movies made, which would qualify any one in them as a movie star. If it’s been buffed that much and re-nickeled any real collector value is gone. “Been used by” means nothing if there isn’t solid proof. And as others will say a lot of movie sets had their own chest of props. Stembridge comes to mind.

Look at the STICKY posts at the beginning of the Single Action heading. You’ll see good clear photos of hammers and the like.

click the link below. It’s a great study. Pay attention to the serial number too.
    https://www.coltforum.com/forums/sin...oto-essay.html
    Last edited by LeverActionBill; 11-28-2019 at 07:48 PM.
    MarkInTx, LEO918 and krag96 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    1133 times
    Buy the gun not the story. Buffed, Refinished, and Engraved may be good or it may be bad depending on the quality of the engraving. If it is ugly it will always be ugly. Remember solid proof is the serial number in writing associated with the star.
    This all started with one gun!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    155 times
    I am not buying it. Just looking for a story for an article.

Member #
    Liked
    160 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Agarbers View Post
    I am not buying it. Just looking for a story for an article.
    Well in that case, "Don't buy the gun; and SELL the story!"

Good luck with it.
    krag96 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    155 times
    With help from Mike (ShortysHVAC) the pistol was dismantles and inspected. We came to the conclusion that this is not a real Colt and most likely a Spanish copy. The story is that it most likely was not owned by Tom Mix, but used by him in some of the movies. There is little in the way of markings. At some point in its life someone drilled all the way through the barrel in an attempt to thread a new screw hole for the ejector tube screw. We feel this makes the gun unsafe to shoot. The caliber seems to be .44-40. My quest now is finding a way to link this to Tom Mix. We assumed it was a movie prop gun but there are no prop house markings. Someone has scratched a number of the frame and trigger guard. If any of you have ideas on how to link this to Tom Mix, I am interested in hearing them.
    IMG_3566.jpgIMG_3553.jpgIMG_3546.jpgIMG_3551.jpgIMG_3550.jpg

Member #
    Liked
    155 times

Member #
    Liked
    1133 times
    If you are going to try to link this gun to Tom Mix then you must have someplace to start. Do you have any information to begin with? Is it only a story that you have? The movies and wild west shows used thousands of guns but only a handful can be factually linked to them.
    This all started with one gun!

Member #
    Liked
    155 times
    All I know is that it was bought from a terminally ill collector in 1968 that lived here in Indianapolis. Not much, I know.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links