Nickel Colt Frontier Six Shooter 4 3/4" barrel shipped 1883, acid etched panel
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Nickel Colt Frontier Six Shooter 4 3/4" barrel shipped 1883, acid etched panel

Member #
    My boots are stained with Confederate soil
    Liked
    1974 times

Nickel Colt Frontier Six Shooter 4 3/4" barrel shipped 1883, acid etched panel

This one is a "Bill Dascher special"; Saintclair and others might know what that means. I have not had this one out of the vault in years, and so I pulled it out today. An esteemed member purchased one of three acid etched Colt Single Action Army revolvers I owned, those other two having 7 1/2" barrels, and so I am now down to two. I wouldn't let this one go because it has the at least uncommon (and possibly rare) 4 3/4" barrel length, of which few original acid etched 4 3/4" Colt Frontier Six Shooters exist today.

A few things. This one has not deteriorated at all since I stashed it away not long after purchasing nearly 20 years ago. I still like this one for what it is, but not nearly as pristine as I recall, much loss of nickel to the top of the barrel and to half of the cylinder.

When much more green, years ago, I posted about a revolver I owned with four notches in the grip. This is the gun I referred to. Still cannot prove it did not slaughter esteemed, renowned outlaw, but this is extremely unlikely. It is more likely to refer to the slaughter of prairie dogs, rabbits, or other vermin.

Shipped 16 October 1883, complete with a Ron Wagner letter dating from 1959.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    1974 times
    And more photographs. My mother told me if I have nothing good to say, to not say it at all, but I hate to knock the Third Generation Colt Single Action Army revolver, but I can't resist! Look at the arc of the hammer and the ears of the backstrap and note the quality fit--back in 1883! The only modern firearm I own is a Third Generation Colt SAA revolver, also nickel, manufactured in 1993, and the fit here is poor, to the point that if you saw the rounded edges on a First Generation gun, you would conclude, without a doubt, the firearm had been poorly refinished.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9510 times
    I have a twin to yours, although your panel is a little better than mine (mine is better than photo shows). Note mine not shipped till '86 w/wood which would be rare at that point. Only reason I bought it was the ship location.

'This is King Fisher's Road--Take the other one'

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1974 times
    Interesting that yours shipped over 2 years later than mine, and yet it has a serial number 2,205 lower than mine.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9510 times
    One of those cases where it just set around for a few years. There are 5 more just like it somewhere. Does yours have the pin hole for HR grips or did it ship with wood?
    victorio1sw likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    850 times
    i LIKE 'EM BOTH
    mrcvs and Smokem like this.

Member #
    Liked
    11683 times
    A Beautiful Pair 'O Relics Gentlemen...

I enjoyed seeing them...and their provenance.

mrcvs likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NRA Life Member since 1977...

Member #
    Liked
    494 times
    Wonderful, both of them!
    mrcvs likes this.
    "In sun and shade, be sure by your friends. Never swing a mean loop. Never do dirt to man nor animal" The Cowboy Code.

Member #
    Liked
    1974 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaffee View Post
    One of those cases where it just set around for a few years. There are 5 more just like it somewhere. Does yours have the pin hole for HR grips or did it ship with wood?
    There are another 49 like mine sitting around somewhere...

I had never noticed the letter listed under "Stocks" as "Not Listed". Yours states as "Wood". The stocks fit so well, I never questioned their originality, although I will say that when first offered to me for sale, this revolver had a set of Ivory stocks on it, and Bill told me he had the original stocks, and I could purchase with the ivory stocks or, at $800 less, with the original stocks. I opted for the original stocks. I never examined the channel of these, as I did not do so at the time of purchase, and had never removed them--until today. By no means conclusive, as it is difficult to read the ink written inside the channel, but it appears to me that two digits are "89", leading me to conclude these stocks may not have originated with this revolver, much to my amazement.

Another photograph depicts the backstrap removed, and the absent stocks, and no pin hole is evident.

The third photograph depicts the four notches, for what that is worth--if anything.

Since I can upload five photographs, I thought I might include the backdrop of many of my photographs, since it is neat in itself. A "Henry Troemner's New Ball Scale No 50". This is often a backdrop as it is located in a window that admits afternoon light and it is white and a flat surface. I obtained it at a country auction several years ago. So, do I have brass balls? Yeah...three, to be exact. But, learn something new every day...brass balls does not mean what you always thought it did: https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...=brass%20balls
    victorio1sw, LEO918 and SHOOTER13 like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9510 times
    'Not listed' usually meant wood on early ones and HR after they became standard. I would have thought that with your 101xxx number yours would be HR, but lack of the dowel hole means it was 1pc wood.
    victorio1sw and LEO918 like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links