*Help* Wanting to buy my 1st SAA
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: *Help* Wanting to buy my 1st SAA

Member #
    Liked
    50 times

*Help* Wanting to buy my 1st SAA

Just wanting to purchase a Colt SAA but am torn in a used 99%+ one or a new one. My local gun shop has 2 new ones. One in 4 3/4” and one in 5 1/2”. They are gorgeous. But I’ve seen some Lumberjack2 (Tom) has on gunbroker in the past and they look great too. Is there a less quality factor of the new Colts vs. the old ones? I’m not entirely sure of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generations. I know I have some research to do but kind of want to be pointed in the right direction on new vs old. Thanks in advance and hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.
    krag96 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    6529 times
    Pointing --> read this section of the forum for 8-12 hours. When done, come back and ask any specific questions. Like you said. In general and in like new condition, 3rd Gen are good quality from the 2000s on. All 1st and 2nd are good quality. The early two generations have more potential to retain their value than the 3rd.
    Last edited by azshot; 11-29-2019 at 05:16 PM.
    krag96 and jringo8769 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    155 times
    I had almost the same question a few weeks ago.
    https://www.coltforum.com/forums/sin...alue-buck.html
    Cozmo and some of the others did a great job of explaining what they mean by quaility when it comes to fit. It was a real eye opener.
    https://www.coltforum.com/forums/sin...hoto-esay.html

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1168 times
    I guess my question would be - What do you want it for? If its to be an investment gun, then a 1st or 2nd gen. Would be my choice. If you want a gun to shoot and use then I would go for a 3rd gen or a 2nd. I don't go for the 1st because I'm in over my head right off the bat. Good luck with what ever you choose.
    jringo8769, jluelf and krag96 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Agarbers View Post
    I had almost the same question a few weeks ago.
    https://www.coltforum.com/forums/sin...alue-buck.html
    Cozmo and some of the others did a great job of explaining what they mean by quaility when it comes to fit. It was a real eye opener.
    https://www.coltforum.com/forums/sin...hoto-esay.html

thanks for the links!
    jringo8769 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2528 times
    The first question I usually ask someone who wants to buy any gun is “what’s the most $ you want to spend”? Especially when looking for a SAA.

Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    $1500-$2500

Member #
    Liked
    1139 times
    Your question has so many answers it could fill an entire forum. Some have already been touched on. The best advice I can give you is first to determine what your heart wants as far as the gun goes. Do you plan on keeping it forever? A smart deal will enable you to trade up with far less pain. Are you a frequent shooter? If so rule out an early first for your first gun. A late first may give you the most bang for your buck and hold it's value the best. You can get a decent condition late first for close to you upper limit. Seconds are a good bet as well. I am not a fan of late guns as they just don't appeal to me personally. As far as getting an honest gun unless you have a very experienced person helping you a good first or second may be a bit much for you to evaluate. Even the experts disagree on these all the time. Back to your heart now. Find a gun you like, sleep on it and see if it still seems to be what you want the next day or week and then if the price seems fair go for it. In your price range getting burned is not as much of a risk because just about any decent SAA is worth 1500 to 2000. Stay away from parts guns and modified guns. they will never increase in value and are much harder to sell for a fair price.
    Agarbers, joehaber and jringo8769 like this.
    This all started with one gun!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    1153 times
    If it were me, I would be looking at early 2nd gens (1955-1958 range). They have many 1st gen characteristics that I like including; a fixed firing pin, outstanding fit and finish, 1st gen style grips and some very early ones will have 1st gen parts. In your price range, you can pretty much have your pick of 5 1/2 or 7 1/2 barreled .38 Special or .45 Colt early 2nd guns without the box. If you want a 4 3/4 barrel or with an original box, that's different conversation. I purchased this 5 1/2 .44 Special last year at the lower end of your price range.
    saintclair, LEO918 and jringo8769 like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    23108 times
    I agree with reconciler that early 2nd gen SAA's are great guns that can sometimes be found at quite good prices.
    LEO918, reconciler and jringo8769 like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links