Long flute SAA
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Long flute SAA

Member #
    Liked
    1483 times

Long flute SAA

pix270320709 (3).jpg Is she actually saying in this letter that all SAAs in that serial number range are long flutes? Or is she doing someone a favor who has a long flute that does not letter? Other long flutes I have checked say this, letter below. I am curious because my friend has an obviously original long flute .41 in this range but his factory letter does not say it is a long flute, and the letter makes no additional mention of long flutes in that serial number range.
    H1193-L91144446 (2).jpg
    Last edited by johnh; 12-02-2019 at 10:05 AM.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7409 times
    I don't have the answer .

If I recall correctly my letter is from 7-8 yrs ago .
    Condition Yellow

Please support Crimson Trace Grips , Mossberg and Beretta . They support our troops .

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7182 times
    You may want to reach out to Paul from Colt Archives - forum member pds03003.

https://www.coltforum.com/forums/lou...-archives.html

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1882 times
    330463 has the "furnished with..." letter. I would get this corrected as I recently saw ( if I remember correctly!) a SAA in the serial range without a LF cylinder.
    saintclair likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22984 times
    I suspect that K. Hoyt is trying to relay the information that not all in that SN range were LF, but the Colt records may not be complete concerning SAA's with LF cylinders. Ergo, there may be some Colt SAA's in that SN range with LF cylinders that do not show up that way in the ledgers.

Member #
    My boots are stained with Confederate soil
    Liked
    1957 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    330463 has the "furnished with..." letter. I would get this corrected as I recently saw ( if I remember correctly!) a SAA in the serial range without a LF cylinder.
    Presumably, the non long fluted cylinder is correct, but are you sure it was not replaced with a period appropriate non long fluted cylinder?

They were sometimes switched. I sold a revolver dating from 1909 or 1910 once to a forum member that had a long flute cylinder. Presumably the long fluted cylinder on this revolver was not original to the gun but a later replacement, presumably from a firearm in the 330- or 331,000 range.

As serial numbers, or parts thereof, returned to cylinders circa 1912, do you recall if this one had the last 3 digits of the serial number on the cylinder?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    I believe I have seen letters written both ways. I will gladly stand corrected by one of our experts, but I was under the impression that all SAA's in that range were outfitted with Long Flutes, maybe with a very few exceptions? And I agree with St Clair's observation about the records!
    Last edited by sumthin_nu; 12-02-2019 at 03:27 PM. Reason: correct
    saintclair likes this.
    sumthin_nu

Member #
    Liked
    1483 times
    Quote Originally Posted by saintclair View Post
    I suspect that K. Hoyt is trying to relay the information that not all in that SN range were LF, but the Colt records may not be complete concerning SAA's with LF cylinders. Ergo, there may be some Colt SAA's in that SN range with LF cylinders that do not show up that way in the ledgers.
    She does not say "some" or "all", so all that statement does is confuse the issue and cause collectors to use their own supposition. My friend may contact the archives and see if they will add that statement to his letter, as his long flute in that serial range does not letter as having the long flute cylinder. That added statement makes a big difference value wise. I have seen many long flute letters, and this is the only one I have seen with this added information.
    saintclair likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Is she actually saying in this letter that all SAAs in that serial number range are long flutes? YES.

Through the years some long flute cylinders have found their way into much earlier or later Colt SAA's, but they won't letter "with long flute cylinder".

This comment about the long flute cylinders being used in the serial range 330,000 to 331,479 is not found in the shipping ledger (where all of the factory letter info is extracted). Rather this comment is found in an assembly record book.
    Last edited by victorio1sw; 12-02-2019 at 10:07 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22984 times
    victorio1sw, It would be nice to learn more about this 'assembly record book.' I hope that you can convince Paul or Beverly at Colt Archives to validate your assertion.
    victorio1sw likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links