New to me 1st Gen
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree119Likes

Thread: New to me 1st Gen

Member #
    Liked
    172 times

New to me 1st Gen

I noticed this gun on Gunbroker and then noticed is was listed by a local FFL that I know. It was out of his private collection and I got to look it over personally before bidding. After handling it I kind of fell in love with it. The well worn look just drew me in. Obviously I ended up the high bidder. Gun is 32-20 and dates to 1904.

I've always wanted an unmolested 1st gen, and hopefully that is what I have here. Based on my limited knowledge, and info I gathered out of the sticky notes here, I think I did alright. gun has a few dings, but otherwise the finish has just worn to a grey/brown/black finish. In the right light you can see hints of the original case colors in areas. Barrel has frostiness to it with a few very minor rough spots, but overall rifling looks pretty darn good for a gun this old. Action has very crisp/clean four clicks and timing seems right on. Very minor play in cylinder.

Markings and serial numbers seem in the right place, although I have not removed the grip frame to check on assembly number matching the loading gate.

There are no markings on the cylinder at all (no serial #), and there isn't any serial number scribed on the backs of the grips. Not sure if this is correct, or not ?

I'd like to shoot this gun, even if it's just a few cylinders worth. I'll probably send it out to someone that specializes in old SAAs just to go through the gun before I do that. There aren't any gunsmiths around here I would trust to do that.

Any comments/notes about the gun are appreciated. Always looking to learn more.

Member #
    Liked
    546 times
    Congratulations! Enjoy it in good health. If it could talk. ..

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7224 times
    Here is its 1907 cousin.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1737 times
    Here is my 1907 32 20
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    1941 times
    A much better than average Colt SAA in 32-20 with lots of blue and extremely nice grips. I wouldn't be concerned about numbers on the cylinder or grips. If the grips fit perfectly, then they are probably original.

Member #
    Liked
    1131 times
    That gun looks good and shows only honest use. You did good!
    This all started with one gun!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    495 times
    Don't give a thought to unnumbered grips . I have a couple of completely untouched 1st gen grips with no visible number , and a few with barely visible numbers ..Those numbers were just scratched or penciled in for factory assembly, with no thought given that they would likely be studied by collectors 100 plus years later..That's a fine looking Colt , from what I think is their best period for real quality
    SHOOTER13 and mentallapse like this.

Member #
    Liked
    221 times
    Well, I guess I should add my two. The nickel gun is refinished 1909, the reblued and then patina gun is 1901. Not the most collectable, but both good shooters.

1st Gen 32-20s.jpg

Yea I know the dang picture came in upside down again. Wish I could figure out why some of them do that.

Member #
    Liked
    1898 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Pthfndr985 View Post
    Well, I guess I should add my two. The nickel gun is refinished 1909, the reblued and then patina gun is 1901. Not the most collectable, but both good shooters.

1st Gen 32-20s.jpg

Yea I know the dang picture came in upside down again. Wish I could figure out why some of them do that.
    Phone pic? If so you can go to edit and pivot pic 360 degrees, hit done and it will post correctly. At least that solved the problem with my phone pics.
    WVCOLT and mentallapse like this.

Member #
    Liked
    5983 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Pthfndr985 View Post

1st Gen 32-20s.jpg

Why don'tcha just turn the phone upside down?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links