44 - 40 WCF Colt SAA
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: 44 - 40 WCF Colt SAA

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

44 - 40 WCF Colt SAA

Anyone out there familiar with this Colt ?
    Last edited by Angeleyes; 12-03-2019 at 12:59 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    114 times
    LOL! Probably. Can you be more specific?
    SHOOTER13 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    243 times
    Are you looking for information on a particular gun? If so pictures are a neccessity in order for the people in the know to be able to comment on it.
    If general info, then the Colt SAA was firsr produced in 45 Colt as a standard for military use. As they added a more civilian clientelle they started addin other calibers, one of which was the 44 WCF so that frontiersman who were a long way from supply sources could carry just one type of ammo for both their Colt and their Winchester rifle, or so the story goes.

The 44 WCF or Winchester Center Fire cartridge eventually became more well known as the 44-40. Colt's SAAs that were so chambered were initialy acid etched with the phrase 'Frontier Six Shooter' along the left side of the barrel. Later this was changed to a roll stamp, and as time went on the phrase evolved as well. Frontier Six Shooters were made in all of the available barrel lengths from Sheriffs up to Buntlines and all available finishes.
    For more complete info, I'd suggest getting book by either Kopec or Moore or both. There are probably more books out there written about the Colt than any other single gun out there. Also do a search of this forum, there are any number of threads acout the 44-40s. Hope this little bit helps to guide you to the specific information needed. I only own a little over a half dozen of them in all three generations so I'm no expert, plenty of people here are tho.
    0714191247a.jpg
    Last edited by Pthfndr985; 12-03-2019 at 01:08 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Apparently my response did not get sent. Anyhow the Colt is miked out at .412. I am looking for a bullet that I can reload into the casings. I have a RCBS bullet mold 44 - 200 - RN and the bullet itself is to large to fit into the cylinder.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    There is no need for a picture, I am looking for reloading info.

Member #
    Liked
    890 times
    You can buy .412 bullets from most of the bigger cast bullet companies. Try Missouri Bullet Company.
    Curtis M Brier, CPA, CIA, CFE

Amat Victoria Curam

Never buy a gun you'll have to make excuses for later

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    16866 times
    Welcome , Angeleyes. As you can see.. there is no mercy for the new members when you walk into the saloon. You just have to learn to duck the bottles thrown

Since you’re looking for reloading info, I suggest posting your question in the reloading section and you may get more responses. Posting here, we thought you are asking about the SAA in that caliber.. or a specific gun and forgot to include the link , etc..
    That is a caliber that many members know about
    🔫 WWYS

Member #
    Liked
    114 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 29aholic View Post
    You can buy .412 bullets from most of the bigger cast bullet companies. Try Missouri Bullet Company.
    .412 bullet for a 44-40 is waaaaayyyyy tooo small. And Missouri doesn't sell them that small. .428 is what I use in mine.
    29aholic and krag96 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    890 times
    Quote Originally Posted by veeman View Post
    .412 bullet for a 44-40 is waaaaayyyyy tooo small. And Missouri doesn't sell them that small. .428 is what I use in mine.
    Yeah typo
    Curtis M Brier, CPA, CIA, CFE

Amat Victoria Curam

Never buy a gun you'll have to make excuses for later

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I have poured bullets for various Colt pistols. For the 44 I was using RCBS 44 - 200 - Rn. The bullets are measuring .426. They will not fit into the cylinder. The bore micks at .412. There is no way a .428 will fit. Somebody will be able to catch on to this ?
    krag96 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links