Color case?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: Color case?

Member #
    Liked
    16085 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikebiker
    It is very hard for me to believe that colt or Winchester did not care about how the case colors looked.
    If you believe that you should be looking for any written documentation from Colt or Winchester prior to 1901 to prove your point. I'd like to see what either company might have put in writing about what they thought or commented on re: the cosmetics of case colors. If anyone can find a period time frame comment addressing cosmetics on case hardening from either company I'd be happy to change my mind. I've been wrong many a time. Be fun to find out differently.

Color case was offered because it made the steel harder...hammers and levers come to mind as hard use parts on a lever gun.

Interesting idea though and worth a look at a 1899 Winchester catalog I had handy.

Here is what I read moments ago...

Special Sporting 1873 came "noted" with a case hardened frame,
    Any other '73 rifle far as I can tell came blued

Even the deluxe version of the 1886 only came with "case hardened trimming". No frames colored oter than blue on a stock catalog rifle but no question they could be ordered.

Under "extras" and "fancy rifles" color case isn't even of the price lists or mentioned.

Don't think color case was ever the finish an engraver would want on a gun covering his work. And any one that has ever prepped and finished metal of any sort knows that blue hides many flaws, color case even more so.
    Last edited by Cozmo; 12-06-2019 at 03:57 PM.
    saintclair, MarkInTx and KMKCOLT like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    24141 times
    The 'IDEA' of what case coloring 'should' look like has evolved over the years. I am sure there are many preferred patterns among our SAA enthusiasts on this forum.
    Cozmo, MarkInTx, Hopalong and 2 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1399 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cozmo View Post
    I suspect there are more than a few of us here that could care less about the color case on a SAA. I can even tolerate Uberti colors I am sure some one will drop in to diss it but I get that, no harm no foul. If we all liked the same thing it would be a boring world. And I have sure seen worse

But I did like this one that just came back. Turnbull's work. Frame is milled from bar stock steel like every other USFA, and now Standard. Uberti, Colt and Pietta are forged frames. I'd bet if you set a dozen of each (both forged and bar stock) up side by side, all done by Turnbull, you'd notice a difference in "case colors and patterns" between bar stock frames and forged frames as the grain of the steel is changed on a forged frame.

Damn. That one came back looking pretty good.
    Cozmo, KMKCOLT and chrometank like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2519 times
    ^^^^^^^ I agree looks great !

Craig
    Cozmo, MarkInTx and chrometank like this.
    NRA Life Member
    Colt Collectors Association
    CCDL Member
    Colt Woodsman Collector

Member #
    Liked
    1553 times
    No matter how you try to spin it, the other examples look nothing like the harsh blotchy colors of the first example shown. And many of the more current SAAs also have a non traditional first/second generation case coloring, when done by Turnbull or whoever. Many people here have severely criticized some recent Colt case colors. But none are as extreme as the exaggerated blotchy colors of the first example shown. It's up to each owner, do you like traditional case colors like the other one I posted, or the non traditional extreme blotchy appearance.

Member #
    Liked
    666 times
    I've have the misfortune of knowing someone who inherited 2 beautiful Winchester 92's in 44-40cal from his grandfather. One was a deluxe Sporting rifle w/24in octagon barrel and one a saddle ring carbine. He also inherited a beautiful first generation Colt Frontier Six Shooter with 7 1/2'' barrel. They all had honest wear but showed no abuse.

The person in question didn't think so and with a Birchwood-Casey refinishing kit, proceeded to ''restore'' them , especially that mottled bluing on the frames! He was quite proud of the results too.

The saddle ring gun had a blued receiver so that was spared , but he did 'refinish' the stock with Tru-Oil!.
    Cozmo likes this.
    "One does not sell Colts , one buys Colts! "

Member #
    Liked
    16085 times
    Quote Originally Posted by johnh
    No matter how you try to spin it...

Uh hu. Sure spinning all those old Colts is a fun past time.

Member #
    Liked
    1553 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cozmo View Post
    Uh hu. Sure spinning all those old Colts is a fun past time.
    That frame would look great spinning quickly, psychedelic.

turn2.jpg

psychedlic-art.png

Member #
    Liked
    2791 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smutt View Post
    I do love beautiful color case hardening but like most things with natural beauty that beauty fades with age.
    You mean like this?

41 Colt & 38-40 Cylinder.jpg

I admit to thinking Turnbull's colors are a little over the top but that certainly doesn't mean I would turn one down.

BTW...I do like it, Cozmo
    Hopalong likes this.
    "Cowards never lasted long enough to become real
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ." --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life Member: NRA, TSRA, NMSSA
    Action Pistol Director-TSRA

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    494 times
    I have a factory NF from 4-5 years ago that is similar to Coz's "blotchy" case-colors, and like it!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    chrometank likes this.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links