Color case?
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: Color case?

Member #
    Liked
    16064 times

Color case?

I suspect there are more than a few of us here that could care less about the color case on a SAA. I can even tolerate Uberti colors I am sure some one will drop in to diss it but I get that, no harm no foul. If we all liked the same thing it would be a boring world. And I have sure seen worse

But I did like this one that just came back. Turnbull's work. Frame is milled from bar stock steel like every other USFA, and now Standard. Uberti, Colt and Pietta are forged frames. I'd bet if you set a dozen of each (both forged and bar stock) up side by side, all done by Turnbull, you'd notice a difference in "case colors and patterns" between bar stock frames and forged frames as the grain of the steel is changed on a forged frame.

Last edited by Cozmo; 12-06-2019 at 01:07 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    610 times
    Nice, I like it too.

Member #
    Liked
    12762 times
    Nice Dane...

But...I do care !!

Even about Uberti's...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NRA Life Member since 1977...

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1406 times
    Beautiful !!

Member #
    Liked
    1552 times
    In this one the colors flow, like a real Colt. 33eg898 (2).jpg

In this one the colors are in blotches, not like a traditional Colt. turn2.jpg
    Revolver, AngelRod1 and OD like this.

Member #
    Liked
    16064 times
    I have to laugh at our forum when we all get nit picky on things like "case colors". Case colors have never intentionally been a cosmetic finish until very, very recently. Case hardening was to actually harden the steel as we all know and make a gun more durable. Not to make the gun pretty.

So something like this gets posted....."In this one the colors flow, like a real Colt." I just have to laugh. Pretty funny actually that we all have what a "real colt" should be pictured in our minds. Many times with no basis in reality and no historical context. We just "like" what the factory, be it Standard, Colt or Turnbull have done in the last 20/30 years.

Comments on SAA cosmetics here often remind me of myself when I go to the local candy store/ice cream parlor. I stand in front of all those big glass cases with dozens of hand made chocolates on display and try to decide what "looks good" Looks aint got much to do with it actually..in candy or SAAs past what you think "looks good". If ya want something that looks "good" buy a nickel gun.

A real 1904 Colt...with the original finish. You can find thousands of them that look just like it. Blotchy POS. :-)

Last edited by Cozmo; 12-06-2019 at 12:50 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7607 times
    Quote Originally Posted by johnh View Post
    In this one the colors flow, like a real Colt. 33eg898 (2).jpg

In this one the colors are in blotches, not like a traditional Colt. turn2.jpg
    Here is my 1970 SAA. The colors tend to be in bursts, more like the lower frame than the Colt frame at top.

This one looks more like the top frame.

And another "blotchy".

Last edited by Hopalong; 12-06-2019 at 12:01 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    1996 times
    I like it! It'll look even better in 20 years

"Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smokewagon and see what happens".
    NRA Life Member
    TGCA Member
    WACA Member

Member #
    Liked
    1699 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cozmo View Post
    I have to laugh at our forum when we all get nit picky on things like "case colors". Case colors have never intentionally been a cosmetic finish until very, very recently. Case hardening was to actually harden the steel as we all know and make a gun more durable. Not to make the gun pretty.
    It is very hard for me to believe that colt or Winchester did not care about how the case colors looked. Winchester used color case to finish their deluxe models. With all the attention paid to detail and nice crisp edges you think the case colors did not matter? Quite the opposite in my opinion. What looks good today also looked good in 1873 and earlier.
    This all started with one gun!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    2814 times
    I do love beautiful color case hardening but like most things with natural beauty that beauty fades with age. That’s the reason women wear makeup and some makers put a clear coating over their CCH. My first priority on any firearm I own is accuracy, beauty doesn’t even rate a close second.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
    I’d rather be in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links