Colt Forum banner

At least one important detail missing

3K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  coltsixguns 
#1 ·
https://auctions.morphyauctions.com/_A__COLT_1873_SINGLE_ACTION_ARMY__45_LC_REVOLVER_-LOT478821.aspx

I totally get it that this single action army revolver just might appear to be, as follows: "CONDITION: Overall very good. Metal retains 85% of its original finish with light wear and handling marks in areas. The wear on this handgun appears to be mostly "holster wear". Grips are good with small dings and scratches. Bore is very good. Hammer and cylinder are tight. Overall, a nice Colt for your collection. "

Maybe the frame serial number '7954' might not look a little flat, suggesting a recasecoloured frame, that the "U.S." marking on the frame looks spurious (although this is not advertised as a Cavalry Model, to the auction house's credit), and that the Colt logo on the frame was not applied to 1874 production single action army revolvers, you might miss the fact the backstrap has been refinished or a later nickel finish has been applied, but you would think that the ".45 Colt" on the left side of the barrel, the lack of an italic barrel address, AND the sight profile that is not contemporary with this 1874 production gun, but rather, if I recall correctly, the type found on post 1912 barrels...you would think that just maybe the professional appraiser assigned to this gun might question the originality of the barrel.

As described, if hammering in the pre-auction estimate range of $2,000 to $3,000, it would seem like an incredible bargain. Reality suggests far otherwise.

I am so pleased I am not a newbie in this hobby. I just don't have enough shirts to lose!

See less See more
#18 ·
While the gun is no where close to correct it still looks good and pure junk will bring 1500 to 2000 on gunbroker any day of the week. Trying to explain this gun critiquing it is a waste of time. It is simply a gun made from assembled parts. I see no attempt to deceive as the gun will not even pass the first glance test. The auction house is not being even the slight bit honest on this one as it is in no way the original finish and the serial number may be altered. The only possible explanation I can think of other then a put together is a Colt refinish and rebarrel with the Rampant Colt added to the frame. I have seen a few Colt factory refinish jobs with a barrel replaced with a later one and it having the later roll marks.

#24 ·
Beware of auction companies -- ALL of them. And they cannot be held accountable for ANYTHING.
I was shocked to an extent when I read the fine print of some of the auction house's details. Basically they say "we know we say things in our descriptions but you really need to come and look at the gun for yourself....you buy it you own it". I've had good luck with most auctions mainly because several of them have catalogers who don't have enough experience to do a good job and they damn a good gun and that makes the masses flee the item hence I get a good gun fairly cheap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.