Like Tree24Likes

Thread: At least one important detail missing

Member #
    My boots are stained with Confederate soil
    Liked
    2096 times

At least one important detail missing

https://auctions.morphyauctions.com/...LOT478821.aspx

I totally get it that this single action army revolver just might appear to be, as follows: "CONDITION: Overall very good. Metal retains 85% of its original finish with light wear and handling marks in areas. The wear on this handgun appears to be mostly "holster wear". Grips are good with small dings and scratches. Bore is very good. Hammer and cylinder are tight. Overall, a nice Colt for your collection. "

Maybe the frame serial number '7954' might not look a little flat, suggesting a recasecoloured frame, that the "U.S." marking on the frame looks spurious (although this is not advertised as a Cavalry Model, to the auction house's credit), and that the Colt logo on the frame was not applied to 1874 production single action army revolvers, you might miss the fact the backstrap has been refinished or a later nickel finish has been applied, but you would think that the ".45 Colt" on the left side of the barrel, the lack of an italic barrel address, AND the sight profile that is not contemporary with this 1874 production gun, but rather, if I recall correctly, the type found on post 1912 barrels...you would think that just maybe the professional appraiser assigned to this gun might question the originality of the barrel.

As described, if hammering in the pre-auction estimate range of $2,000 to $3,000, it would seem like an incredible bargain. Reality suggests far otherwise.

I am so pleased I am not a newbie in this hobby. I just don't have enough shirts to lose!

Member #
    Liked
    10717 times
    I'll point out that the auction house is a seller and doesn't appraise - they go with what information is supplied by the consignor - if they actually 'appraised' in-house, their already exorbitant fees would be far higher.
    superdave269 and jringo8769 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1095 times
    Ian.
    Very careless to describe the finish as original.
    Gun dealers are not,mostly, very scrupulous.
    victorio1sw likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    200 times
    I agree that auction houses don't "appraise" the guns they present for sale, however; they are supposed to accurately represent the guns they present for sale and if there are obvious flaws they should be noted. That is not what is happening here. This gun is misrepresented in so many obvious ways. Draw your own conclusions.
    Monsai52 and BoSabbath like this.

Member #
    Liked
    10717 times
    They get around that by the photos - but there are a couple of houses that only show the 'good' side and over-oil or grese the 'bad' so it all looks good.

Member #
    Liked
    2096 times
    Okay an oversight on my part to say appraiser. But "expert" certainly doesn't describe the evaluator, either.
    victorio1sw likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2120 times
    Not much correct or original about this one.
    MrRush and Rick Bowles like this.

Member #
    Liked
    17095 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Not much correct or original about this one.
    Ain't that the truth! This is a great educational example of a poorly faked SAA. I can imagine an excited newbie jumping on this like a duck on a June Bug!
    saintclair, Rick, mrcvs and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NRA Endowment Life Member
    CCA Member

Member #
    Liked
    2096 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bowles View Post
    Ain't that the truth! This is a great educational example of a poorly faked SAA. I can imagine an excited newbie jumping on this like a duck on a June Bug!
    I suppose it IS a faked Cavalry Model, now that you mention it. So much isn't right with it such that I never considered this one to be faked. More like a single action army revolver assembled from spare parts.

I would think fakery would involve the intent to deceive. With so much wrong with this one, its much more a situation of totally obvious vs subtle deceit.

Member #
    Liked
    2120 times
    I only have phone so pics won’t enlarge clearly. Is that a ampersand on the TG?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links