Nice 2nd Gen But Suffers from UGS...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Nice 2nd Gen But Suffers from UGS...

Member #
    Liked
    251 times

Nice 2nd Gen But Suffers from UGS...

Ugly Grips Syndrome. Been looking for a nice, early 2nd Gen with either a 4 3/4" or 5 1/2" bbl since I like my 1957 7 1/2" so much. Found this one which i bought in spite of the grips. Suspect they are not original to the gun as they don't fit worth a darn and are not very well shaped. They are not marked on the inside. But everything else matches and since I usually put my own grips on 'em I went for it anyway. And it was made in 1957 like my 7 1/2".

IMG_2937.jpg

IMG_2939.jpg
    WVCOLT, jmbman, MarkInTx and 8 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    13045 times
    Those are the same grips that came originally on my 1992 Colt SAA. They fit perfect, of course being made for the gun, but they were dull and I hate gold meds. But your gun is so nice that the grips are only a reason to find better ones for it based on your particular tastes. I have a pair of 1950s or 60s Colt standard hard rubber grips that fit my three 1950s guns perfectly. So they were very uniform in that era that I consider the best period for post war SAAs. There's a good chance that hard rubber grips fro that era you might find for sale will fit it, or very close. Another reason your gun is so cool. It came out the same year I did. Here's my '57 .45.

JOG, sixguns and MarkInTx like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1842 times
    That is a nice 2nd Generation SAA. It deserves correct HR stocks or some nice custom stocks.
    jringo8769 and saintclair like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1341 times
    Well great find and any grips will improve the looks ...i would go with some classic rubber two piece or always a favorite beautiful walnut one piece
    That is a beauty
    Well done
    God Bless,John

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
    ei8ht and MarkInTx like this.
    "Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
    1. Jesus Christ
    2. The American G. I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1264 times
    I'll take your nice Colt with the great CC grips and all. I was expecting some imitation pearl/stag or something. Nice gun!
    jringo8769 likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    272 times
    Take a look at Joe Perkins' website. You'll get some good ideas Home - Classic Single Action
    jringo8769 likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    24057 times
    Independent of the grips, that is a very nice looking 2nd gen SAA!!
    jringo8769 and MarkInTx like this.

Member #
    Liked
    251 times
    Thanks to all for your comments. Looks like the grips that came on the gun are Colt grips, given Wyatt's input and that I found an identical set listed on GB as Colt factory grips (with a price of $199 no less!) but if they are original to this gun they sure didn't fit them very well. No matter as I usually make my own grips anyway. My posts on page 6 in the the thread https://www.coltforum.com/forums/sin...grips-saa.html show several of the grips I've made. Now it's a matter of deciding what material I want to use and if I can get my hands on some. Right now it's wearing the grips that came on my other 1957 2nd Gen which I restocked with walnut. They are slightly undersized for this gun but will suffice until I decide what I want to do. But as you all very graciously said, it's a very nice 2nd Gen and deserves better than what it came with. I see some shop time in my future.
    Last edited by SR James; 01-11-2020 at 08:01 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    10521 times
    Colt wood grips from that time were made of excess pallets if their appearance is anything to go by - they were selling the name, not the aesthetic beauty of 'good' walnut - you'd be hard put to find something as plain, and they even put them on their plated SAAs, and even staining them doesn't help.

Talk to Dave Lanara about some one-piece walnuts.
    jringo8769 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    693 times
    What Saintclair said! That is an outstanding example! Congrats - and post new pics after the new stocks are fitted!
    jringo8769 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links