Last machinist to have machined the First Generation Colt SAA Revolver passes away?
Like Tree11Likes
  • 6 Post By mrcvs
  • 2 Post By saintclair
  • 1 Post By mrcvs
  • 2 Post By bighipiron

Thread: Last machinist to have machined the First Generation Colt SAA Revolver passes away?

Member #
    My boots are stained with Confederate soil
    Liked
    2064 times

Last machinist to have machined the First Generation Colt SAA Revolver passes away?

Maybe???

From today's Wall Street Journal, Saturday/Sunday January 11-12, 2020, page A12.

Michael Burney, 1911-2019.

The article states the following: "After gaining experience as a machinist at Colt Firearms Co., he joined three siblings and another partner to form Atlantic Machine Tool Works in 1940."

So, he worked at Colt Firearms 1940 or before, the year the Colt Single Action Army Revolver was discontinued (First Generation).

A few assumptions here, which may or may not be valid:

1. He was assigned to work on the Colt Single Action Army Revolver;

2. No other machinists who worked on the First Generation Colt Single Action Army Revolver.

In any event, a news story I read today not looking for a Colt Firearms connection.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    WVCOLT, krag96, jrm and 3 others like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    24154 times
    I suspect he was the last Colt machinist to work on many of the old Colts. RIP!
    MarkInTx and krag96 like this.

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Quote Originally Posted by saintclair View Post
    I suspect he was the last Colt machinist to work on many of the old Colts. RIP!
    +1

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    10555 times
    Colt machinists did a lot of things - the chances that a new man would be assigned to a fading product line in the face of an emerging war are pretty slim, and his leaving the plant in 1940 made him 29, an apprentice with little, if any, production background.
    Last edited by dogface6; 01-13-2020 at 12:22 PM.

Member #
    My boots are stained with Confederate soil
    Liked
    2064 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dogface6 View Post
    Colt machinists did a lot of things - the chances that a new man would be assigned to a fading product line in the face of an emerging war are pretty slim, and his leaving the plant in 1940 made him 21, an apprentice with little, if any, production background.
    In 1940, this individual was 29, not 21. I did further research on line and discovered that Michael Budney worked for Colt Firearms for 10 years, presumably 1930 to 1940, but maybe earlier. This individual began working at age 15, which could have been as early as 1926.
    krag96 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    10555 times
    Dyslexic fingers are a cruel burden to bear...

In that environment, machinists trained for years before they were given significant work 'on the line' in actually finishing production work, but there were a myriad of machining jobs to do in providing parts and the like - too many years have passed to find out what his actual job might've been.

Member #
    Liked
    1400 times
    I am almost positive he did indeed work on Colt SAA's, and that a few of the ones I have were hand fitted by this gentleman. I base this theory on absolutely nothing other than romantic nostalgia. When legend becomes fact, print the legend
    Colt75 and Monsai52 like this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links